addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Justin P.
user 40145992
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
Anyone finding boletes or matsuakes on the Northern Oregon/Southern Oregon coast recently? Thinking of going up this week, but don't wanna make the 6 hour round trip drive if it's not good. We have had some healthy rain previously, although a dry spell for the past couple of weeks. Anyone know if, given your recent foraging experience/knowledge of temperature and weather conditions, etc., if it is ripe for boletes on the coast? I went 3 weeks ago and only found 1 King bolete--not good.
Justin P.
user 40145992
Portland, OR
Post #: 6
There are 408 shroomers in this group and no one has any info. on this? What? Really? Come on, don't be shy. I'm not gonna find your spot if ya tell me it's good huntin' out there ;).
Tiffani
Tnute
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
This is my first year finding boletes, we found them up in the hills next to Mt Hood, around 3000-4000ft, and out in the gorge. I found something that looked an awful lot like a matsuake up by Hood, but I've never hunted them before and have no idea what they smell like (so they went to the compost pile). I always find chanterelles in the coast range.
Justin P.
user 40145992
Portland, OR
Post #: 7
Did you find them recently? Matusakes have a distinct smell--sort of like those "Red Hots" candies from childhood--a cinnamon-like, spicy smell---very distinct--no other mushroom smells like that. I don't know if you have a guide book, but "Everything That the Rain Promises and More" by David Arora is a good one to take along with you. There is also a mock matsusake that looks just like it but doesn't have the smell. It's edible, but not as good.
Tiffani
Tnute
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
I did find many last week: boletes, chantys, and a ton of puffballs and some hedgehogs, black elven saddles and some bears head, the week prior was another load of boletes, chantys, and the maybe matsutakes. I don't have a good nose when it comes to mushrooms, they all smell like good earth to me. I do have that book, it has been the best pocket guide I have ever had. I walked Powell Butte in SE Portland just this week, I found some oysters and a ton of LBMs. I think it's just a matter of getting out there and keeping your eyes open. I also walk very slowly and crouch often, especially when my mushroom radar goes off.
Justin P.
user 40145992
Portland, OR
Post #: 8
That's great. I've always wanted to hunt in that area, but not sure where to go. Maybe one of the state or national parks? Gonna try my luck on the coast this weekend. I did just get back from the Gorge and found some beautiful hedgehogs for the first time, in addition to chanterelles and some admirable boletes. There were tons of milk caps and slippery jacks, but I'm not very interested in those.
A former member
Post #: 1
Justin - any luck? We're considering a trip up to Portland (we have a car we can borrow there) and specifically want to find some boletes. Mt. Hood would be close and nice, but not at all against hitting the coast.
Justin P.
user 40145992
Portland, OR
Post #: 9
I was not actually able to go. It's difficult to get out there because I'm a family man--and it's such a long drive for me. I did go to the Gorge recently, however. The chantys were dwindling because it had not rained in a while, but it is FINALLY starting to rain again. I did find lobsters and blewits. I think the boletes are probably done in the mountains, but not sure about the coast. I did find a ton of admirable boletes in the Gorge area! Although, I'm still hoping to get some kings and queens! Good luck and please post something if you had luck on the coast with boletes.