Portland mushroom hunters Message Board › Chanterelle Season Over?

Chanterelle Season Over?

Karen B.
user 35600072
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
Are chanterelles finished this season? I went out today in the Tillamook Forest (on a recommendation) and didn't find any. Not sure if it was the location or the season's over.
Rene
user 6766532
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
I don't think the season is over quite yet. Because we had such a dry early fall, I don't think they had the moisture they needed to continue to fruit from the early part of season. I think with the rains we've had lately you will likely see them sprouting up again, but there isn't much time left before it gets too cold for them. I am tempted to put together an impromptu foray tomorrow to go check it out, but not sure yet if I have the time. Please, if anyone does go out in the next few days, let us know if you found anything!
Justin P.
user 40145992
Portland, OR
Post #: 11
Not at all! After this last rain, it's a good time for chanterelles! I went out yesterday near the Gorge and bagged about 10lbs of golden chantys, in addition to tons of winter chanterelles (yellow foot), matsusake, black fluted elfin saddles, and lots of hedgehogs. You may have gone to an area that was over-picked, or maybe just not a good spot. Sometimes you can go to a forest where chantys are around, but just happen to not go to the right area. Keep lookin', you'll find some. I've found them as late as December in Oregon and WA. Good luck!
Justin P.
user 40145992
Portland, OR
Post #: 12
Planning on going again next weekend for chantys and hedgehogs. I'll keep ya'll posted on my find. Say, anyone have any luck finding boletes on the coast recently? I have not done my yearly coastal hunt, and usually go around this time. I went early October and it appeared to be too early for boletes.
Matt I.
user 113446592
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 4
I was finding chanterelles in the off 26 coastal range over 2 months ago and I heard others were finding them in August. I am no expert but I have heard that chanterelles are relatively slow growing and resistant to insects meaning that they grow continuously over a long period and will regrow when cut. I am assuming there must be a limit to that growth as three months is a long time. On the other hand we haven't had any frost to speak of in the elevations of the coastal range and the western foothills of the Cascades so there might be some stragglers or regrowth. I am unsure where to look now myself as the last time I went out I found only a few cups worth after trying a few different locations off OR-6. I did find plenty of angel wings and lobsters (past prime).

Justin- I think king boletes are mostly done in Oregon. I looked a few weeks ago on the coast in Tillamook Co and the ones I found were over mature. If you go you might find matsutakes as they are both under the shore pines and matsutakes hold longer (if they aren't picked!). Maybe try southern Oregon/N Cal for Kings?
Justin P.
user 40145992
Portland, OR
Post #: 13
Thanks, Matt. Good to know. For about 4 years in a row, I would go to northern Oregon/Southern WA coast and usually find tons of kings and queens around the beginning of November, except last year of course, because it was so dry. I may search around that area for matsusakes at least. I'll report back if I find any boletes. Gonna go this weekend for chantys, hedgehogs, and mats. It is a good time for winter chanterelle and hedgehogs. Good hunting!