This year the Vegetarian Meetup Group will once again be celebrating Thanksgiving with a great big Community Vegetarian / Vegan Thanksgiving Pot-Luck! This year’s Thanksgiving Pot Luck will be FREE to attend! What better way to celebrate the season than with new and long-time veg friends from the Columbus community! This event is open to everyone -- whether you are vegetarian, vegan, or just interested in eating more meatless meals. Also, if you attended last year’s “packed to the rafters” event, you’ll be pleased to know we’ve booked an even larger facility, able to accommodate up to 220 guests!
Several groups will be participating in this year’s Thanksgiving Holiday event, including:
- Columbus Vegetarian Meetup Group
- Columbus Vegan Meetup Group
- Dayton Vegan Meetup Group
- Mercy For Animals
- Sunrise Sanctuary
Here are complete details:
Date: Sunday, November 18th
Time: Arrive at 4:30pm; Dinner at 5:00pm
Location: St. Timothy’s Parish Hall, 1088 Thomas Lane, Columbus OH 43220 (located off Kenny Rd near Upper Arlington)
Food: Please bring a vegetarian (vegan preferred) side dish and/or dessert to share along with serving utensils and an ingredients list to go with your dish. Because this is a community-wide event, Vegetarian Group members are encouraged to make their dish vegan so everyone can enjoy. If you need any help on “vegan-izing” your dish, just drop me a line. Some suggestions can also be found at the bottom of this announcement. If you know what you'll be bringing, be sure to mention it when you RSVP. Note: If your dish happens to be gluten-free, be sure to indicate this on your ingredients list as we have several gluten-free members!
Place-Setting: To help reduce disposables, please bring a place setting (plate, fork, etc.) for yourself and each guest. You may also wish to bring your own beverage. Water will be provided.
This should be a great start to the holiday season and a wonderful celebration! Hope you can join us!
Recipe Substitutions:Soy Milk, Earth Balance, and Vegetable Broth are all quick, easy and tasty substitutes for milk, butter and broth. Many other vegan recipe substitutions can be found at: http://www.veganwolf.com/vegan_cooking_substitutions.htm
List of Ingredients:Not sure what's vegan and what's not? Click here: http://www.vegfamily.com/lists/animal-ingredients.htm
Side Dish Suggestions:
- Convert one of your favorite side dish or dessert recipes. (Or, better yet, bring one of each!)
- Bring a traditional Thanksgiving dish: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, veggie gravy, veggie side dishes, casseroles, rice dishes, salads (veggie, pasta, fruit), etc.
- Bring a non-traditional Thanksgiving dish: pitas & hummus, ethnic dishes (Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Greek, etc.), etc.
- Search the web. Many websites can provide some great recipes. Here's one of them: http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-side-dish.html