Our January event at Portia’s Café is coming up next Sunday, January 19th! This event has been full practically since it was announced. If you are on the list to attend, I look forward to seeing you there! Remember, if you do find that you will be unable to attend, please be sure to update your RSVP as soon as possible. Should be a great meal and a fun time together! Complete details on this event can be found here: http://www.meetup.com...
For those unable to RSVP for this event, our next event is in the works and will be announced soon!
Lots of updates and information this month! Check out the announcements below for new sponsors, articles and tons of local vegetarian / vegan events in the community!NEW SPONSOR: NATURE’S PATH MARKET!
Nature’s Path Market, located on Cherry Bottom Rd in Gahanna, is a prominent source of vegetarian and vegan foods. They offer organic and eco-conscious products. Their mission is to promote a benevolent, eco-friendly, and vegan lifestyle. Vegetarian Group members are offered 10% off their first purchase of $50 or more by using the coupon code “MEETUPVEGE” at checkout! Nature’s Path Market is located at: 1360 Cherry Bottom Rd, Gahanna, OH 43230. Phone: 614-476-6159. Web: www.naturespathmarket.com.COMMUNITY EVENTS!
The following community events are not official Vegetarian Group events but may be of interest to you!Sat, Jan 11, 1-3pm: Farm to Fork- Cooking With Seasonal Ingredients at the Stratford Ecological Center in Delaware, Ohio!
Wed, Jan 15, 7-9pm: Mid-Week Meatless Meals- Resolve to Eat Healthier in 2014 at Mt. Carmel Women's Health Center at Wedgewood!
- Start the new year off with recipes and samples of health-supportive meals using produce from the center's greenhouse that are simple to prepare and simply delicious. Come early and take a winter walk through Stratford's farm and woods for a great afternoon. Cost is $30 per person and spaces are limited. Event is conducted by our own Chef Mark Zedella (The Duke of Fork)! Register early for this popular event by calling 740-363-2548. For more info visit: http://www.thedukeoff....
Sun, Jan 19, 3pm: From Yoga Mat to Placemat: Cook Well, Eat Well, Be Well at Balanced Yoga Studios in Clintonville!
- Get help with those New Year's resolutions to eat better! Chef Mark will explore the world of healthy and delicious plant-based cooking with recipes, samples, menu planning and nutrition tips. Cost is $35 per person and the event is conducted by Chef Mark Zedella (The Duke of Fork)! Advanced registration required by calling 614-234-5433. Additional info can be found at: http://www.thedukeoff....
Sun, Jan 19, 2:30pm-5:30pm: No-Knead Vegan Baguette Baking!
- Unable to get into Vegetarian Group event our event at Portia’s Café on the 19th? Register for the cooking class with Chef Mark, the Fascia Release Yoga Workshop with Loretta Zedella or both! Complete details and registration information can be found here: http://www.balancedyo...
Tues, Jan 21, 7:00-9:00pm. Wine and Dine with Chef Del - Hearty Winter Feast!
- Another option for those unable to be with the group on the 19th is to learn the techniques of mixing, folding, shaping and baking baguette dough! Make rolls and focaccia from the same dough and taste the difference. Bring a mixing bowl to take dough home. Hands-on, led by Chef Andrew Semler (Lucky Cat Bakery). Cost: $30 for Franklin Park Conservatory Members; $35 non-members. Location: Franklin Park Conservatory, 1777 East Broad St., Columbus, OH 43203. Registration info: Call 614-645-5923 or visit http://www.fpconserva....
Sat, Feb 1, 9am-2pm: Cooking Intensive: Weight Loss - Cooking Class with Chef Del!
- You bring the wine; Chef Del will prepares a 4-course meal for you to enjoy! Location: The Wellness Forum Center, 510 E. Wilson Bridge Rd, Suite G, Worthington, Ohio 43085. Cost: Wellness Forum Members-$15; Non-members-$20. Event is open to everyone but reservations are required and can be made by calling 614-841-7700. For more info, visit: http://www.wellnessfo...
Tues, Feb 4, 6pm: Dinner at the Wellness Forum!
- It's a new year and time to renew your commitment to good health. Enjoy 5 incredible hours with Celebrity Chef Del learning the basics of planning, preparing and cooking a plant-based diet with recipes that will help you lose those extra pounds, learn new recipes, and feel great for the upcoming year! Location: The Wellness Forum Center, 510 E. Wilson Bridge Rd, Suite G, Worthington, Ohio 43085. Cost: $100 (Non-members), $80 (Wellness Forum Members). Event is open to everyone but reservations are required and can be made by calling 614-841-7700. Note to Wellness Forum Members: Bring three non-member guests to any cooking class and get 50% off your own class fees. For more info, visit: http://www.wellnessfo...
Mon, Feb 10, 6-8pm: Vegetarian Cooking Class at Franklin Park Conservatory: Vegetarian Korean Cuisine!
- Bring your friends, family and anyone else who is ready to get healthier! Enjoy a delicious, gourmet vegan meal and participate in an interactive discussion led by Dr. Pam Popper about diet, lifestyle and healthcare. You'll become informed about the latest and best scientific information about health that will allow you to make the most informed decisions for you and your family. Location: The Wellness Forum Center, 510 E. Wilson Bridge Rd, Suite F, Worthington, Ohio 43085. Cost: Free! Event is open to everyone but reservations are required and can be made by calling 614-841-7700. RSVP by Monday, February 3rd. Additional info can be found at: http://www.wellnessfo....
Thurs, Feb 13, 6-8pm: Spice Up Your Life - Vegan (and Gluten-Free) Cooking Demo at Franklin Park Conservatory!
- Make comforting, flavorful Korean dishes like soybean paste soup, quick veggie panchan, braised tofu and mixed grain rice. Hands-on, led by Chef Laura Lee (Ajumama Food Truck). Cost: $30 for Conservatory members; $35 non-members. Location: Franklin Park Conservatory, 1777 East Broad St., Columbus, OH 43203. Register Here: http://www.fpconserva... or call 614-645-5923.
Fri, Feb 14, 7-9pm: Wine and Dine with Chef Del - Valentine's Day Celebration!
- Explore the magical world of spices and try some of the famous dishes that inspired the historic spice trade routes. Learn about the essential spices that should be in every pantry. Demo and tasting, led by Chef Jim Yue. Cost: $30 for Conservatory members; $35 non-members. Location: Franklin Park Conservatory, 1777 East Broad St., Columbus, OH 43203. Register Here: http://www.fpconserva... or call 614-645-5923.
Sat, Feb 15, 1-3pm, Very Veggie Valentine's Vittles at Dawes Arboretum!
- Sample a romantic 4-course meal including tantalizing appetizers and a rich chocolate finish - for couples, singles, and groups; much better than a restaurant meal! Location: The Wellness Forum Center, 510 E. Wilson Bridge Rd, Suite G, Worthington, Ohio 43085 Cost: Wellness Forum Members-$15; Non-members-$20. Event is open to everyone but reservations are required and can be made by calling 614-841-7700. http://www.wellnessfo...
Mon, Feb 17, 6-8pm: Meatless Monday - Vegetarian Cooking Demo at Franklin Park Conservatory!
- Join Chef Mark Zedella (The Duke of Fork) for this special afternoon as he demonstrates healthy and delicious plant-based delicacies to accompany your Valentine's weekend celebration. Maybe even something a bit chocolaty! Location: Dawes Arboretum Visitors Center, 7770 Jacksontown Rd., SE, Newark, OH 43056. Instructor: Mark Zedella. Cost: $35 (non-members), $25 (Arboretum members). For more info, visit: http://www.thedukeoff....
Vegetarian / Vegan Articles in the News:
- There is no better way to warm up than with a delicious, hearty chili. Learn several easy, delectable chili recipes that will help you get through the coldest time of winter, including Moroccan chickpea chili and spicy onion beer chili. Demo and tasting, led by Christie Nohle and Fiona Doherty. Cost: $30 Conservatory members; $35 non-members. Location: Franklin Park Conservatory, 1777 East Broad St., Columbus, OH 43203. Register Here: http://www.fpconserva... or call 614-645-5923.
- ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE ARTICLE: It’s always good to see pro-animal welfare messages in mainstream media publications! Check out this article on activists working undercover in factory farms from a recent issue of Rolling Stone Magazine. http://www.rollingsto...
- THE GUARDIAN ARTICLE: Meat consumption continues to decline as the U.S. slowly moves in the right direction! http://www.theguardia...
Take care and look forward to seeing you soon!
Dan, thanks for providing a summary of the many events and classes that are happening (and the great job you do managing this group!) Just a quick update on my classes- the Jan. 11 class at Stratford has been postponed due to a bout with the flu; and the Jan. 19 class at Balanced Yoga is sold out (thanks to all who registered!). There are a number of events in the works for February and March and I'll be sure to update the message boards.
"The Duke of Fork"