Community Action Wellington Message Board › Community Action Wellington - News and Views April 2013

Community Action Wellington - News and Views April 2013

Spencer
user 13890703
Group Organizer
Wellington, NZ
Hi everyone

What a cracking summer! I’ve been enjoying the outdoors and swimming in the harbour every week for 6 months now. I hope you’ve also been enjoying the weather, and getting out on one or two Community Action Wellington events!

In this newsletter I’m going to briefly cover some topics including the types of meetups we post (and how you can get posting too!) and how to manage your email setting so Meetup doesn’t drive you crazy every time you open your inbox!

Expanding the meetups that are posted to include other events

This year we have been trialling posting events that are not specifically CAW meetups, but that may be of interest to members. For example, Sustainability Trust events, environmental and social gatherings and so forth. Feedback has generally been positive so you will start to see a few more of these over the coming months.

If you are a member of another group, or hear about an event that you think others would like to know about, I encourage you to post it up on the CAW site as an event. This is super easy but don’t worry if you hash it up a bit, I can always correct it later!

One thing to note is that for these more general meetups, you may not recognise other CAW people at the event. If you are going, and want to meet other group members, feel free to post a comment saying where you will be or suggesting a coffee/beer before or after.

Tips and tricks on making the most of the website and managing all those emails

We all get a lot of emails from Meetup, especially from the more active groups. I have set up a rule on my email that forwards them all into a dedicated folder, to read when I have a spare moment, which seems to work quite well. If you are getting too many, however, you can go to “account” in the top right, then click on “email and notifications”. You will see some general settings, but you may need to go into the settings for each group to really get them set up how you want them.

Expanding profile, size and range of activities of the group

A lot of people in Wellington have never heard of Meetup, let alone Community Action Wellington. I hope to publicise the group more widely this year, both to attract new members, and to connect with more community groups. For example, I have set up a group profile and I recently wrote a short article for the Nature Space website, and will be writing to all of our partner community groups asking them their plans for the year and when we can make the biggest difference to them.

If you know any groups that we don’t currently work with, please do get in touch. For example I have been talking to some community gardens about food issues recently. Food poverty is a big problem that groups like Kaibosh are tackling.

Finally, now and again, you may see a social event posted with the mischievous secondary objective of attracting you to a pub or café to take part in a bit of “microvolunteering” to help out with element of running the group! It is much more fun over a pint and before you know it you will have written a press release, emailed the student magazine editor or posted a couple of upcoming events! All the while sampling some excellent beverages and connecting with other group members :)

I should say that for the May social, the task is super easy! - just bring along any brilliant ideas you have for winter projects that we can get stuck in to.

All the best and hope to see you at an event soon,

Spencer.