The Complete Photographer Message Board › Printers? Looking for advice

Printers? Looking for advice

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Everyone -

I've been getting my work printed through an online service. It is fantastic but because of cost I only do a few at a time. I'd like to show off more of work at my office/home without having to send them off. So I'm looking at getting a reasonable printer that has quality output on archival grade paper. I've settled on either the Canon 9500 or 9000 but could be convinced otherwise. I know one our great leaders has pretty much set up a print shop out of house so before I spend the $$$ I'm hoping to get some advice.

What I'm looking for is a printer with great output, can handle up to 8½x11 prints if not a little bigger. Has a history of quality and the ability to print a many types of paper. I would like it work within Lightroom (and/or Photoshop) for final output. Print speed is not much of a factor (less than 15 mins a print would be idea). I know either of the Canon units does up to 4800x2400, don't know if I would use that but I like to purchase tech gear that can handle more than what I need at the moment.

Everything I read tells me the 9000 or 9500 would do the job. Before I run out and buy one (most likely this week) any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks,
Charlie

Robert W.
globtrotr
Desoto, TX
Post #: 14
Hi mikechaz,

I print a fair amount of my own photography, as well as some belonging to other photographers. I display in galleries around the state and enter print competitions, and have won a number of awards for my prints. Let me offer this about the printers you are considering. Both of the Canon printers are highly rated. The 9000, however, uses dye inks, which are likely to have excellent, bright colors initially, but won't last near as long, without fading, as the pigment inks in the 9500. Read something about that here. With that being said, let me ask you if you have considered any of the offerings from Epson? If I were considering the same purchase as you, my first choice would probably be the Epson Stylus Photo R2880. , Epson recently introduced the Stylus Photo R3000 as a replacement for the 2880. Lots of good reviews, not a lot of customer feedback yet.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns about my recommendations.
Robert W.
globtrotr
Desoto, TX
Post #: 15
For some reason, these links to the Epson products didn't show up in the first post.

B&H Photo ad.
Epson Stylus Photo R2880
Epson Stylus Photo R3000