Star Island here we come!
8.23 UPDATE: I made a mistake on the depart(s) time for this event. It leaves Portsmouth at 10:55 and comes back at 5:45. So I am changing the meeting time for this event to 10:30am! Great we get to sleep in a little more before we spend the day at the island!
There is a LOT of information here please make sure you read it so you are on the same page as the rest of us.
Star Island is one of the 9 archipelago islands located within the Isles of Shoals that is home to numerous historical landmarks and sights. Many visitors on this four hour excursion on Star Island enjoy sitting along the coastline listening to the sounds of the ocean, picnicking, soaking in the beautiful view of lively Gosport Harbor, the White Island Lighthouse, and the surrounding islands of the Isles of Shoals. Guests of the island also enjoy watching the working ships and leisure boats that make use of this magnificent harbor.
Children particularly enjoy "treasure hunting" on the beaches and viewing the glacier carved rock cliffs that were shaped thousands of years ago. Families have the ability to sunbathe and swim, enjoy an ice cream from the gift shop, and explore the reconstructed "Gosport Village" (a replica of the old fishing village that once stood on the same site.)
THINGS TO DO ON STAR ISLAND:
- Row boats — $5/hr. Reserve at front desk.
- Massage therapy — $80/hr. Reservations at front desk.
- Sports/outdoor activities – Sporting equipment available for use: tennis, softball, Frisbee, bocce ball.
- Swimming — Between float and beach next to pier.
- Rutledge Marine Laboratory — A favorite of children, the salt-water tanks and terrariums here allow visitors to observe island flora and fauna. Open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sundays through Friday.
- Vaughn-Thaxter Memorial Cottage — Houses a library, a collection of art and artifacts related to Isles of Shoals poet and artist Celia Thaxter, and early records of GosportVillage history. Open 1 to 3 p.m.; library open dawn to dusk.
- BusinessCenter — Time-based fee for computer use. See front desk for rates.
- Playground- There is also a good sized playground for children.
- Shelling, Fishing, Treasure Hunting, Photography, Bird watching and more!
DEPARTS: 10:55 AM
Arrive back in Portsmouth: 5:45 PM
Parking: Limited Dockside Parking available on a first come, first serve basis for $5 per car. Public parking available at the conveniently located Hanover Street parking garage.
Food: Feel free to bring your own lunch/beverages/snacks.
Staying with the Group: When we get to the island we can stay together or you can venture out on your own, doesn't matter.
Prices: Adults (13+) $42.00 | Seniors (60+) & Military - $39.00 | Children (4-12) - $32.00 | Children (3 & Under) - FREE
Tickets: You are responsible for ordering your own ticket, remember to come back to the site and let me know if you have your ticket, by commenting on the bottom of the page. I am not responsible if the boat is full before you got your ticket. Here is the link to get your ticket(s). http://www.islesofshoals.com/index.php/cruises/star-island-day-visit/event/193-star-island-day-visit.html
Time: I have this scheduled for 8:30 to allow extra time if you are running late, or get lost. As you see above the boat starts boarding at 8:55, if you get there around that time (or after) I will be on the boat, come find me.
Rain: I will update this event on 8/20 if there is rain, this event may be canceled.
This event is open to everyone so if you want to bring the kids you can!
This event will be scheduled on my 2 Meetup sites, (A Circle of Friends and Connection & Friends) there may be more people going to this event then you see.
Take a minute now and put the Meetup phone into your phone, that way if you are are running late, can’t find us or need to cancel at the last minute, you already have it in your phone: [masked], please note this phone does not accept text messages.
Is it time for you to pay your dues? Please look at your profile page where it states “Membership dues last recorded by your Organizer” You can pay your dues at any event. Thank you in advance for paying your dues!
As a courtesy to everyone in the group come back to the event page and change your RSVP if your plans change or call me/send a message through the site.
Looking forward to seeing you at this event!