Jan 24, 2013 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
This will be our first non-book discussion group. Some very brief material will be provided soon that we encourage you to read before hand. Some of the questions we will discuss:
- What are the Arguments for and Against Gun Restrictions?
- Does the Data and Evidence Support Strong Gun Control Laws?
- Should School Officials Possess Firearms? (what about costs and training?; who should carry the firearms?; does is matter if it is a college, high school, middle or elementary school?; what is the impact of gun-free school zones?)
- What Role Does Media Play in Mass Shootings?
- What Role Does Hollywood and Other Entertainment Play?
- Are There Usually Mental Health Red Flags that Could Prevent These Shootings?
- If Prior Mental Health Problems Can Be Identified, How Can Government Proactively Address Mental Health Without Violating Privacy and Other Rights?
This is an extremely timely topic and an important one. There's little doubt that Congress, states, and local governments will be trying to find ways to attack gun rights. Mass shotings are tragic and to the extent that the likelihood of such tragedies can be minimized, there must be careful (not knee-jerk) consideration of sound policy solutions.
We look forward to seeing you at Cosi's and having a thoughtful discussion on these serious issues.