addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Conservatives in the Arts Message Board › Is Healthcare a Right?

Is Healthcare a Right?

A former member
Post #: 58
I'm in this group to learn how to speak with my numerous liberal friends. I'm want to preserve my rights and I feel they are being attacked. One of my best liberal friends is a doctor and asked me this question a couple of days ago. This is what I learned tonight. I should have said:

Her: What do you think; is healthcare a right?

Me: Well I guess I'd need to think about what we already know as a right - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. These are the rights we have today as defined by the constitution right?

Her: Yeah, that's today but what do you think about adding healthcare as a right?

Me: Well if I think about our current rights, take" life" for example. Do I need to give you anything for you to practice your right of living?

Her: No

Me: Do I need to give you anything for you to practice your right of liberty?

Me: Do I need to give you anything for you to pursue happiness?

Me: Do I need to give you anything for you to have healthcare?

Her: Yes. I see the difference.

Me: So as we define it today, Healthcare isn't a right. The main problem I have with making it a right is that Healthcare as a right would require me to give you something. I don't want the government to require that of me.

FYI The way the conversation actually went was shocking and my friend became uncomfortable with my response. So I took someone that was receptive to conversation and made her less receptive. That's why I'm looking for help on how to talk to people!!!!!

Her: What do you think; is healthcare a right?

Me: Absolutely not!

Her: Well I'm a doctor and we differ there. I believe it is a right. Everyone should have healthcare.

Me: Great, then you can give it to them. Hey that's totally within your power. You can work day and night for free if you'd like. Just don't ask me for a fucking dime.

Her: Oh my God! I need to think about this; see you Sunday - gotta catch that train!

If you are also running into dialogue issues, please post your conversations so that we can learn how to speak more effectively with those that are receptive.