This group is being formed because I need help to create a Community Cafe that will be non for profit on Long Island.
Volunteers needed-from all different backgrounds-all skill levels.
Serious mined people only-this cafe is in the planning stages-it will be not for profit cafe. All funds will be raised-by fundraising-grants etc to get it started.
Vision for the cafe:
Harmony Cafe Mission:
We will strive to build community by providing delicious and nutritious food. Meals will be served in a respectful and dignified manner to anyone who walks through the door and wants to contribute to our community. Food is served to all regardless of anyone's ability to pay. The food served will be fresh, unprocessed, cage-free, hormone-free, GMO and antibiotic free.
We will be addressing food insecurity and local hunger in our community and other social issues.
• No-set price- “Pay what you can”, suggested prices will be posted.
• Seasonal menus- The menu will be seasonal and flexible. This allows the café to buy produce in season at reasonable rates and to accept special deals and donations of perishable ingredients. This cuts operating cost and keeps the menu always new and creative and supports local businesses and local farms.
• Limited Waste- Guest will be served by self-selecting their portions sizes so there is no pre-set size. Providing portion choices will make guest less likely to waste food or get things they don’t want.
• Commitment to recycling- Plates, cups, bowls and utensils will be cleaned after use. By reducing the use of disposable items we will minimize our carbon footprint. Another goal of the cafe is to be green in all practical and possible ways.
• Encourage volunteerism- Giving people the opportunity to give back to the community and to the cafe or donate their time to pay for their meal. Provide job training skills to those who want to move into other areas of the food industry.
• Educate the community- Health and wellness events, will provide information on healthier food choices/cooking classes etc.
• We will commit to social change and impacting the community in a positive way.
• Community garden will be created.
Support local farmer-grown local food will be used.
The cafe will have at least one large “Community table” where people who normally may not meet can sit together.
This cafe is modeled after One World Everybody Eats foundation. They will be mentoring the Harmony Cafe.
This is a brief out line of the concept-there is so much more.
There are 38 community cafes operating in the United States-and many more in the planning stages. This will be the first on Long Island.
The cafe will not only be about the food-but about the experience-it will be a feel good place-we will serve so much more then food. We will feed the mind/body/soul:)