The Scotiabank AIDS WALK for LIFE is looking for volunteers!
On Sunday September 21st, 2014, the Scotiabank AIDS WALK for LIFE is celebrating 29 years of providing hope, promoting life, and spreading awareness of HIV/AIDS.
As one of the largest fundraising events in Western Canada, the Scotiabank AIDS WALK for LIFE raises funds to support those in BC living with HIV, and raises awareness of the challenges they face.
Of course, this annual event wouldn't be possible without the dedication of volunteers like you. If you want to have fun while getting involved with a great cause and supporting your community, then we would love to work with you! Whether you want to be on the front lines or behind the scenes, there's a role for you. Being a WALK volunteer has many benefits, including:
• A free Scotiabank AIDS WALK for LIFE T-shirt
• A reference letter (upon request) for educational or professional purposes
• A great feeling knowing that you are contributing to a worthy cause!
AIDS WALK Details:
When? Sunday, September 21st, 2014. Registration begins at 10:00 AM and the walk ends at 1:00 PM with entertainment to follow. Depending on the role, volunteer shifts can vary and extend before and after WALK hours.
Where? Sunset Beach (Beach Avenue between Thurlow and Bute)
What? 6.75km walk along the seawall with a shorter 2.2 km walk option available
Why? To raise funds in support of people in BC living with HIV/AIDS
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
• Logistics: Assist with site set up on Saturday, September 20th. Support the Logistics team and complete various tasks under the direction of the Logistics Team Leader during the WALK.
• Parking Attendants: Manage the AIDS WALK Parking lot area and the distribution of parking passes. This role is well suited to those that have a high attention to detail, confident, and able to work well without supervision.
• Photographers: Capture all of the special moments of the event with their own camera and assist with photographing throughout the day. Perfect for those with skills & experience in event or group photography.
• Donation Collectors: Collect donations from the general public at two off-site stations during the WALK. These volunteers may also be asked to collect donations for red carnations and red ribbon balloons. Experience dealing with people and experience in sales will be of help in this position.
• Information Tent: Home to many of our volunteers doing many different jobs including: checking in volunteers, distributing lunch and water, operating the lost and found, coordinating coat check, and helping to keep our site clean and tidy
• Registration Tent: Register all of the teams and individual walkers arriving to participate in the walk on Event Day. Specific skills and experience in financial management, money handling, and customer service are required.
• Route Team: Monitor the route and the water stations, as well as direct pedestrian traffic. Experience and interest in customer service and information giving a plus! Volunteers with First Aid certification or health and safety experience is a great asset.
• Cheerleaders: Cheer on participants as they do the WALK, and get them pumped up about the event! A cheerful and energetic personality is a must. Cheerleaders will also be asked to create their own enthusiastic signs for the WALK.
• Setup/Teardown: Responsible for setting the event up and then tearing it all down once it's all over! Volunteers will be required to lift and carry things like tables, fences, and tents. Volunteers are able to sign up for setup, teardown, or both.
• Office Assistance This special group of people offer their time in the day or evening (special office nights are also planned) with database input, phone calls, mailings, registration package assembly, and computer work (Access, Word and Excel used in the office).
If you're interested in volunteering for this amazing event, we want to hear from you! Fill out our online volunteer application form at www.positivelivingbc.org/events/scotiabank-aids-walk-life-2014-volunteer-application-form
You can also contact Jason Leung, the Scotiabank AIDS WALK for LIFE Volunteer Coordinator, by responding to this volunteer opportunity posting. To learn more about our organization and its services please visit our website www.positivelivingbc.org and www.aidswalkvancouver.ca