Critical Ink Message Board › Reading

Reading

Pamala W.
user 12999673
Group Organizer
Tulsa, OK
Post #: 57
To be good writers, we need to be good readers, as well. I have never kept track of the books I read, until last year. I kept a journal listing the books that I read, and the authors. For 2012, I read a total of 81 books. Wow! I was shocked. I had no idea that I read so much. The genres were widespread, and there must have been twenty different authors. So, I challenge each and every one of you to keep a journal of the books you read in 2013. I know I'm keeping mine. I'm already on book #2.
Reading helps us to understand the craft of writing. It helps us with capitalization, punctuation, as well as word usage. The newer the book, the more current the writing rules. That's not to say that you can't read Victor Hugo, Mark Twain, or Jules Verne, it just means that you need to sprinkle current titles in with the classics. So read. Anything ---- everything. I want to know what everyone is reading at our next meeting.
Enjoy!
Renee La V.
RL40744012
Tulsa, OK
Post #: 53
I agree that reading a lot helps us better our own works. I haven't logged the books I read since I was in summer reading programs in Louisiana, during every summer break I had. I like this idea and think I'll start, again. I read a lot of books. This will also help me see how much better my reading skills are, since my heart attacks. When that happened, I couldn't read a sentence and remember what I read by the time I reached the period. Life is so good to come back from that!