Welcome to the fourth meeting of Cthulhu Rising: The HP Lovecraft Society of Dallas. We will only be reading one Lovecraft story this time, but quite a bit of related material. Be sure to take notes as you read for discussion questions and comments.
READING LIST FOR DISCUSSION
• The essay, "A Literary Copernicus," by Fritz Leiber, Jr.
• The essay, "Lovecraft's Literary Theory," by Philip A. Shreffler. Download part 1 of 2 and part 2 of 2.
• A piece written by our very own member, John Petty, entitled "Seussthulu." John has asked that this not be distributed outside the group, so please honor his request. Unlike the other files I have posted in which anyone can download, this one is restricted to members of this group, which means when you click on the file it will not open but will download directly to your computer. You can find it here.
[masked] - UPDATE / CHANGE: I have decided to retract John's story, "The Doom that Came to Roanoke," for this meeting. It will be reassigned when we reach "The Doom that Came to Sarnath" later this year, around June or July. I am doing this simply because I now feel that the volume of reading we have assigned for this meeting is too long to include that story at this time. I apologize for any confusion this may cause.
• Lovecraft's "The Tomb," from 1917.
• The shorty story, "Count Magnus," by MR James, which is said to have influenced Lovecraft's "The Tomb."
Here is vintage reading of "The Tomb." There is no information about the reading posted on the video page, but I'd guess this was late 50s or early 60s.