Cumbrian Hiking, Biking and Socialising Group is a Meetup group for people living in or around the northern Lake District, Eden Valley, and Cumbria generally - or those willing to travel in for events.
It was started by me as I started a new job up here in Penrith around three years ago, and didn't know a soul up here but was keen to go out and do things. Before arriving I was based in Cambridge and am a member of the Cosmopolitan Friends Meetup there, so have an idea of how the whole thing works. I found that it really helped me meet new people there, so I thought I’d have a bash at recreating a similar group in a more topographically interesting area.
The idea is to get together a loose bunch of people - not that I’m calling you loose - who can form an informal network of people you can call on to share the best of what the area has to offer. It's for people who fancy doing fun stuff and would like a bunch of friendly people they can call upon to do it with.
The group is free to members, and members are free to arrange their own events via the site. There's no committee, set responsibilities or expectations that anyone organises anything - the plan is that the group organises itself round this site, and there no one particular person or persons running things. It's really a case of getting out of it what you put into it.
We also have a supporting facebook group at:
If this all sounds like you’re bag, please join up and come along. If it doesn’t sound like your bag then join anyway and we’ll try and help you find your own bag. Please have a rummage round the site and make an effort to come along - hopefully you'll soon find your feet and maybe even use them to get along to future events.
A few things to note:
- Upcoming events are on the main page. There's another tab - 'suggested events'. Anyone can post an event here and if it attracts a further two people it goes on to the main page. So please feel free to suggest things.
- It really helps us if your photo looks like you, and not a pot plant, zebra or the Pompidou Centre in Paris. It means we have a fighting chance of spotting you at your first event. If you haven't already posted something that looks like you could we ask you to consider doing so.
- Occasionally, Lakeland weather being what it is outdoor events can be cancelled at short notice. Please check the board for any updates prior to setting off.
- The serious bit. We are a social group rather than a commercial outdoor enterprise and as such obviously don't employ professional guides, leaders or first aiders. As such we need to remind you that walks are not ‘led’ as such and everyone should ensure that they are adequately prepared and dressed for the walks and have a bit of 'outdoor nouse'. We cannot be held responsible for any accident, injury or illness contracted on any of the walks, or at social events. If an event host feels that you are not properly equipped for a walk they may (very nicely) not admit you on to the walk.
- It's very rare that people RSVP yes and then don't show up, but it can happen. If you can't make it please try and give us some notice, as it takes time and energy to organise things.
- The group is free to join but there are running costs which ideally I'd like to recover. We reckon that £3 per year from active members would just about do. We won't ask any newcomers but if you've been to a few events and seem to be enjoying yourself then a voluntary donation along these lines would be appreciated and make me like you even more.
That's it! If you have any suggestions or questions please let me know.
Hope to meet you soon,