Cycle Folsom Message Board Race Reports › Cal-Aggie Crit

Cal-Aggie Crit

Mark V.
user 13738606
Folsom, CA
Post #: 1
Well, the first race of the 2011 season was cold, wet, and slick. I was nervous going into as I have raced the course 3 times before and it is challenging when it's dry. There were about 75 racers in the cat 4 group and it was great to have the support of the FB riders on the sideline. The race was fast from the start averaging 25 mph + for the entire 50 minutes. I stayed in the pack and raced conservatively. My fitness is still wintry so to say, but had a blast. When I got home, my wife asked me how the MTB race was! I look forward to racing with the team at the next race - Mark
Phil B.
user 12637731
Folsom, CA
Post #: 3
I agree with Mark, the race day weather was not cooperating. Wet and slick roads. I believe we had a full field of 75 racers. The Masters 35+ cat 4/5 race had five FB racers in attendance. Our plan was to work together to protect our sprinter. There was one crash in the second/third lap on the first 135 degree "S" turn on the back of the course. One of our guys was stopped by the crash but did not take a fall. He was not able to make it back into the front group. I had to work hard to keep near the front. Everyone was riding across the entire road on the straights and gentle long corners. It was difficult to work your way up to the front. Our two strongest teammates stayed in the top twenty riders (right where you want to be) the entire race. I made a plan to run up the left side on the back straight on the second to last lap to work my way into the front group. As I started to make a move everyone ahead of me made moves and I got boxed in, nowhere to go. On the bell lap I again was boxed in. So on the short straight between the two "S" turns on the last lap I made a banzai move up the right side to turn the last sharp corner to move up and just kicked from the corner to the finish line. My teammates finished 7th, 12th. I crossed the line in 35th and our last teammate not far behind. We all looked like we had just completed a cross race. Dirt and grit from head to toe! It was a fun race for the first one this year. I have aways to go fitness wise to be competitive. Back to the grind of training before the next race.

Phil
Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 42
I heard there were a few crashes. Nice to hear you guys all stayed upright.