addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cycle Folsom Message Board Race Reports › Land Park Criterium, 26 Mar 2011, Elite Cat 5

Land Park Criterium, 26 Mar 2011, Elite Cat 5

Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 52
Last night the weather was calling for "rain" and "25 mph winds gusting to 30." Not exactly nice racing conditions. In fact, the sold-out Elite Category 5 race (the only Cat 5 race) looked a lot thinner than the 50 available spots. I had no teammates, but it was nice to see Jeremy B. show up for some early morning (8am) wet and wild racing around the oval at Land Park.

The race organizers made the first lap a neutral lap. It was a good way to get a feel of the course with the group. Most of the course isn't technical, but on the north end of the course they have a series of relatively tight chicanes to negotiate.

Around the 2nd or 3rd lap, Jeremy went to the front and stretched out the group. Jeremy is always strong, but the wind on the course would not let anyone slip off the front of our race. I was happy just staying tucked in the top 10-15 and out of the wind.

I'm not sure how many guys started the race, but near the end, the main front group was whittled down to about 20 guys. I was happy to still be sitting comfortable in this group; and, of course, Jeremy was still 2nd or 3rd wheel.

Some young San Jose Bike Club kid took the sprint finish.

Jeremy and I finish 8th and 9th, respectively.

Later I was picking the grit out of my teeth and wringing the water out of my wool socks.

Thanks Krysta for taking the photos. You can see more pictures here.