addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cycle Folsom Message Board Equipment and Tech Forum › Suggestions for Headlights, Tail Lights and General Visibility

Suggestions for Headlights, Tail Lights and General Visibility

Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 81
Follow up on the NiteRider MiNewt Pro 750: I've had this light for a few weeks now and love it. It's the best light I've ever owned. Compact, light, exceptionally BRIGHT!, easy to mount, good run times, and good charge time. MSRP is $249 which is pretty inexpensive for a light of this quality compared to prices a year or two ago ($400-500), and I bought mine from Bike Bling (Escondido, CA) for under $200. Folsom Bike has them for MSRP.

Be polite, dim the light!
Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 100
Scott M.
user 12891876
Folsom, CA
Post #: 5
An essential part of my night-time riding arsenal is my sunglasses; yes, my sunglasses.
Eye protection is at least as important at night as during the day -- from bugs, dirt and wind. If you have aspirations of frequent night rides it's worth the small investment for your increased safety and comfort.
A few years back, I bought a pair of relatively inexpensive glasses with clear lenses from Performance (Scattante Team Multi-Lens Eyewear on sale (10/30/12) for $29.99). I like their cheapness because I don't feel bad stuffing them into the side pocket of my commuter pack. And, while I primarily use these frames for night rides, they are also useful in overcast conditions.
Oakley also has several frames that enable fast lense swaps if you want to go more upscale, or if you ride both before and after sundown or sunrise.
Stan S.
Schultzee
Folsom, CA
Post #: 92
I'd agree with Scott's point about glasses. Keith Purser over at Bicycle Planet recommended their Serfas glasses with 4 interchangeable lenses for around $50. They came with clear, high contrast orange, medium gray tint, and dark gray tint. There's literally a lens for any type of light condition. This time of year, I tend to start settling on the orange and clear option. I suspect that Folsom Bike or BP would have something similar.
Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 102
Since I lost my prescription Oakleys on the trail last year, I picked up some Rudy Projects with an Rx insert. I have 2 sets of interchangeable lens and they are both photochromatic. The clear/light gray allow 18-78% light transmission, which means they are great in the dark (nearly clear), but also get darker as it gets lighter out. I love 'em!

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/technology_impactx.php­
Mike L.
mikelemberg
Folsom, CA
Post #: 29
Brian, I have been looking at the Rudy Projects for awhile. How did you order the second set of lens with your RX? That is the only thing that had held me up because I want one clear and one dark, but I could never figure out how to order the second set of lens.
Rowland F.
rfellows
Folsom, CA
Post #: 5
I run with a handlebar-mounted Serfas TSL-500+ headlight that puts out 500 lumens. I would consider a second one to mount on my helmut, but that would be another $150... for a tail light, I use a Serfas TL-200 one watt taillight. Both have fast and easy mounting mechanisms so I don't have to carry extra hardware on my bike when I don't need lights.
Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 103
Brian, I have been looking at the Rudy Projects for awhile. How did you order the second set of lens with your RX? That is the only thing that had held me up because I want one clear and one dark, but I could never figure out how to order the second set of lens.

Rudy Project really has 2 USA based websites: their "information" page (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com­), and their "retail" page (http://www.e-rudy.com/­). You can look up your model of glasses on the retail page (probably easiest to go straight to their Cycling Sunglasses page) and near the bottom they will list all of the lenses available for that model and you can "add to cart." For example, I have the Raydons. If I go to the bottom of that page, they list something like 60 other lenses (one of their most popular models). I have the Impactx Photopolarized Grey (12-30%) and the Impactx Photopolarized Brown (21-50%) - I think.

Please note, this is for non-prescription lenses. If you have lenses with Rx added to them (as opposed to my Rx inserts), then you need to order through an optometrist. By the way, Healthy Eyes Optometry is a local Folsom Rudy Project dealer and where I went and ordered my sunglasses and Rx insert.

I have to say, my Oakleys had prescription lenses, but if I switched the lenses, I had no prescription or I would have to buy another set of prescription lenses. Although the RX insert looks a little goofy, and even more of a "four eyes," I can easily swap-out any lenses and still have the same Rx insert. On top of that, the Rx insert model works across other Rudy Project sunglasses, so I can turn many of their glasses into prescription glasses. Overall, I'm very, very happy with the quality of Rudy Projects glasses, and dig their photochromatic lenses.
Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 104
A cheap and dirty way to get decent, clear or yellow (high contrast) glasses for less than $10 is to pick up a pair of sporty safety glasses. I'm serious! I use to wear these all the time until I got my prescription sport sunglasses with interchangeable lenses.
Home Depot safety glasses
A former member
Post #: 1
All good info everyone. I'll throw another recommendation out there for those who are shopping. Cygolite makes at a lower price point light set or they are available individually too. Those that have posted are correct about needing a super high output light for race pace riding or descending. With that said, I think most peloton pace rides wouldn't need any brighter than this set. I've seen them at REI $95 for the set, $60 headlight only, or $40 taillight only. Both USB rechargeable. (NO wall charger is included.) Seems like a lot of lumens for the money.