addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Cycle Folsom Message Board Training and Nutrition Forum › General Nutrition Question: Before/During/After

General Nutrition Question: Before/During/After

Jeff K.
ColnagoCLXRider
El Dorado Hills, CA
Post #: 14
I was hoping to see what others are doing nutritionally before/during long rides (50mi+). I understand what works for one, may not work for another, but I am just trying to see if there's something I am missing. I know it's something pre/during rides, because when I get home and cram all the food into my face, I feel soooo much better! biggrin Any insight advice would be appreciated!

Jeff
Jeff K.
ColnagoCLXRider
El Dorado Hills, CA
Post #: 15
Oh, and yes I am carbing up, drinking water the night before, light breakfast (Toast, hardboiled egg (whites only), and Naked fruit juice).
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Jeff,

For breakfast, I like to eat a whole toasted bagel w/peanut butter & jelly along with a pc of fruit (banana, apple, nect. etc) and a cup of coffee. Then I bring a bagel w/pnut butter cut into quarters and a few GU packs. One bottle of water and one bottle of GU brew with extra GU brew in a baggy for re-fills along the way. I found that it helps me to eat something about every 10-15 miles or so...especially if I'm climbing alot...I'll eat a GU or quarter bagel about every 10 miles. Seems to work well for me, but everyone's metab. is different...weight, muscle mass etc I think may all make a difference also.

Dale
Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 79
50+ mile ride:
If I'm in town and eating at home, I either have 2 scrambled eggs on toast or 2 packets of instant oatmeal with a ton of coffee (I'm an addict). Then I take a banana to eat either when I start riding or about 45 min after breakfast, which ever comes first. If I'm out of town and riding, like at Levi's King Ridge Gran Fondo (100+ miles), I ate left over pizza from the night before!

During a ride I pretty much eat either one ClifBar and/or a snickers depending on how long I'm out riding. Also I usually have some sort of mix in my water bottles. Keeping hydrated properly is more important to me that food. Food just calms the stomach growls.

After riding I go for something with a good balance of carbs and protein; either a bar, protein drink mix, or real food.

There is some "nutrition" guidance provided from CycleFolsom.com:
http://www.cyclefolsom.com/pdf/information/nutrition_on_the_bike.pdf­
http://www.cyclefolsom.com/pdf/information/cf_NutritionPackages.pdf­
For me though, the guidelines are a little too much. I can get by with less.

Bottom line is you don't need to really do anything fancy. Water is the big thing you don't want to skimp on. It's possible to eat too many other calories during a ride and not gain the benefits of the work-out.
Stan S.
Schultzee
Group Organizer
Folsom, CA
Post #: 69
I'd echo Brian's comments that our the "Nutrion Guidance" listed on our site might be a bit much. I get by with less.

50+ mile ride for me = High Fiber Instant Oat Meal with four prunes, 1 egg, grapefruit juice about 2 hours before the ride. I'm really liking Brubar nutrition bars for on the bike (I prefer Original Malt flavor; available at Bicycle Planet). For 70 to 100+ mile rides, I use Perpetuem from Hammer Nutrition throughout the ride.

For me, this year I found that the most important thing I can do to improve my riding is to get a really good night sleep before a long ride---and to avoid alcohol prior to a ride. Making sure I get a good night sleep and eating breakfast 1-1/2 to 2 hours before the ride has made a huge difference for me.
Quinn H.
user 12439259
Folsom, CA
Post #: 14
Hi All,

While I am slowly getting my legs back, I think that the advice of some of the higher end people has really helped me dial in my nutrition on the bike. Here is my normal ritual....

Before any ride over 40 miles, I eat 1/2 cup of Steel Cut oats combined with a handful of crushed Walnuts and Pecans. Add a little Blue Agave syrup, and that makes my meal. I do like a cup or two of coffee as well.

On the bike, any distance under 50 miles, or under 3 hours, I am using Gu. I try no to take on too much. No more than 200 cals an hour, so that means, not a lot of extra foot ontake. This is not that long of a ride if on the flats. I will maybe add some sport beans and will carry one bottle of Hammer Nutrition Heed drink with another bottle of water.

On the bike, any distance over 50 miles or over 3 hours, I use Hammer Nutrition Perpechem in a flask. I add some kind of food that tastes okay, like 1/2 a Mojo bar or something (healthy version of a Payday candybar) and then will have one bottle of water and one bottle of heed. I will also bring some sports beans, as I just like to have a variety of food consistency over longer rides.

I definitely follow the advice of taking on one bottle of water every hour of riding for normal conditions. I also make sure my electrolyte balance is good and as Stan said, get a good night's rest the night before. That alone can make or break your ride if you are going hard and far.
Jeff K.
ColnagoCLXRider
El Dorado Hills, CA
Post #: 16
Thank you all for sharing your routines! After reading, I think I may be lacking food intake the morning of the ride. I am usually eating light and running out the door, because I'm worried the food won't sit well during the ride. I'll try eating a more full breakfast a couple of hours prior, which would probably keep me ahead of the curve. I am pretty good about drinking, eating bars, and shooting gels during the ride. I'll have to give a shot on the next 50+ mi ride.

Jeff
Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 82
Hey Jeff,
I think maybe you figured out what's not working for you; the amount of food pre-ride and maybe the time consumed before riding. I'd be curious to know what you change and if it ends up working for you.

Remember, food is the fuel in your gas tank. It doesn't have to be a ton, but a descent moderate breakfast will get you fueled-up for the efforts ahead. I usually eat about 1.5 hours before the longer weekend rides and eat a small snack (banana) right before I start riding.

Good luck, let us know how it works out,
Sincerely,
Brian
Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 83
Jeff K.
ColnagoCLXRider
El Dorado Hills, CA
Post #: 17
Hi All,

Finally got in a couple of 50+ miles in and let you know the changes I have made with results.

- Ate a bigger breakfast an hour of more before the ride, grabbed starbucks along the way to the ride.
- Changed bottle of Gatorade out for Coconut water (higher potass).
- Carried on bottle of Hammer Sustained Energy (followed mix instructions). The bad thing about this is, I can only carry one bottle of water. Luckily the ride had a stop mid-way to refill, otherwise not sure if I would always carry this mix.
- Carried additional gels, consumed every 45min-1hr.

Finished the ride strong, no bonking or cramping each time. Thanks for the advise, I guess I really wasn't preparing well enough.

Jeff