Cycle Folsom Message Board CF General Discussion Forum › CF News and Updates --> Please Read

CF News and Updates --> Please Read

Stan S.
Group Organizer
Folsom, CA
This message is being sent to all club members. It will also be posted on the General Discussion board for those who have their e-mail preferences set to bar all messages from the Meetup platform ; )
Holiday Greetings and News Mash-up
I've got a variety of things to cover in this edition, but the most important item on the agenda is to wish you all the happiest of holidays. For me, I can say that some of my most enjoyable experiences during the holiday season is when I'm out for some fun rides with all of you. It's a great way to close out 2013 and to start 2014 off with a bang.
Registration, Guest Waivers, and Cohesive Rides
This is the time of year when we see a lot of guests joining us for rides, which I am happy to accommodate. The rides in other clubs seem to dry up a bit during December and January… friends talk to friends, and suddenly our rides swell a bit. No problem. I just need everyone's help getting the following message out:
If you invite a guest, please make sure they visit­ to submit a guest waiver. There is no charge for invited guests, however, I ask that you respect the intention of the guest waiver, which is to allow guests to ride with us once or twice before joining, or when they happen to be in town.
We maintain an insurance policy for the club, which requires us to have liability waivers on file for all members and guests. There is a cost associated with every member, regardless if they ride with us regularly, once or twice—or even if they just watch from the sidelines on our web site. Covering the cost of insurance is also one of the reasons we have a small annual registration fee (more on that topic in our next newsletter).
If you're a new member, or guest: We pride ourselves on making “safety” a higher priority than “being fast” or “first to the top.” One of the most important ways we can be safe is to be highly predictable and cohesive in the way we ride. That means riding mostly single file, and possibly even being patient if someone in front of you is lagging.
If you haven;t done it yet, or if you know of friends who will be joining us, please be sure to have them read our Important Safety Guidelines on the Cycle Folsom web site.
2014 Goals and Upcoming Events
I speak from experience when I say cycling performance improves immensely when you have goals in place. Last year, I slipped and didn’t challenge myself with firm goals, and it showed throughout the year. With that in mind, we’ll have a lot of ways to augment your goals this year with theme-oriented rides and specific training events:
Train for the TOC Series: Details are being developed, but look for Tour of California-inspired training rides in the months preceding the Tour of California. We usually try to post tough, back-to-back training rides each weekend with routes that will make you appreciate how strong the pros are.
You may even want to request a vacation day for Monday, May 12th, the day the City of Folsom hosts Stage 2 of the Tour of california, an individual time trial. I’m sure our members will have opportunities to volunteer to support the event, too. So stay tuned.
May is Bike Month: Cycle Folsom absolutely ROCKED the month-long “May is Bike Month” event in 2013 with 86K miles (35K miles more than our nearest competitor). I’m hoping to get as much participation this year. In fact, I personally booked a few vacation days in May to ensure I can keep up with some of our big hitters.
Death Ride: More than 30 Cycle Folsom members have officially registered for the Death Ride on July 12th. We’ve set up an event on the CF calendar where those who have officially registered for the event can RSVP, share info, and align with one another for training. Given that a number of Ride Leaders are also registered to ride in the event, you can bet that you’ll be seeing some challenging hill rides on our calendar.
Set your Goals for 2014
Whether it’s a goal to ride a certain distance, ride a certain route, lose some weight, or whatever, write down your goal(s), and then plot out the steps and timing required to accomplish them. Life can sometimes get in the way—which we all experience—but force yourself to make adjustments where needed, and keep your goals in site!
Augment Your Efforts with Help from AthletiCamps
Our friends at AthletiCamps are putting the finishing touches on some special group purchase opportunities for Cycle Folsom members.
Retül Bike Fitting: First and foremost will be our annual bike-fitting deal. Owner Bruce Hendler will soon be offering a block of fitting appointments with specially discounted pricing, and a new offer on custom-fitted insoles for a limited number of customers who sign up for an appointment first. We’ll soon be posting an event on our Meetup site with complete details and links to sign-up.
Testing: Most of us ride as much for social reasons as for fitness and training. But if you want to up your game, you need to map out a training plan. But the most important step for mapping anything out is to know where you’re starting from. AthletiCamps offers a variety of testing options, including those designed to help you understand “training zones” and identify your current levels. Additionally, Bruce and his team can provide a complete overview to your testing stats, including suggested training techniques to improve. If you’re interested in learning more about testing, and possible group discounts, contact­.
Gruppetto Re-Start
Steven Paine has indicated that the next Gruppetto Series will begin the first weekend in February. Keep and eye on the calendar if you’re interested.
Happy Holidays & Happy New Year
So that’s it for this edition of our News and Updates. I look forward to seeing many of you on our remaining Holiday rides, and throughout 2014.
Stan Schultz
Cycle Folsom