add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Cycle Folsom Message Board State your goal(s). Perhaps someone will join you. › Winter Training Goals

Winter Training Goals

Steve W.
Folsom, CA
Post #: 6
Now for some "geekiness":

I'll be dropping the weight as rapidly as possible between now and January. Beginning at 75kg my goal is 68 kg. My current power at OBLA is 270 watts, and I'll be trying to raise that to 290 watts. The combination of my lower weight and higher power would move me from 3.6 watts per kilogram to 4.26 watts per kilogram - and that my friends equates to flat out flying up the hills.

This is no small task. In order to have a "reasonable" opportunity to achieve my goals I need a well thought out, structured plan and modicum of self discipline. The very first thing I did was get my Performance Test (Athleticamps) and build a training plan based on my training zones (heart rate & power).

I'm 2.5 weeks into my plan and have already lost 5 of those 7 kilos, so far so good. Most of my "on the bike" work has been geared toward base-building, so I haven't yet begun to work on improving my power output, but I'll begin those efforts in about 2 weeks time.

I'll keep you posted.
Curtis T.
Folsom, CA
Post #: 2
Dang! Before you lost any weight you were already "flat out flying up 'dem hills." At 150lbs with higher watts you are going to be all Paul Mach on us (for those who don't know, that looked like about 20mph climbing the Confluence towards Cool.)

Every time I try to cut back on my serving sizes my head feels like it's being starved (all tense and throbbing).

So what's the nutritional secret to getting leaner in your case?

And what are your before and after body fat percentage estimates?
Steve W.
Folsom, CA
Post #: 9
My nutritional secrets:

Simple changes requiring unwavering discipline; not much more than that really. I quit eating stuff I shouldn't eat, for example, I drink water with my lunch instead of soda. I don't eat out anymore because loosing weight works way better when you dramitcally reduce your sodium intake. Sodium cause your body to retain water and water is heavy, and you can't get restaurant food that is truly low on sodium. I eat smaller portions, a lot more vegetables and I've cut out snacking between meals altogether. Also, I severly limit my sugar intake.

I tipped the scale at 153 last night and feel like I'm going to make it down to 150 by mid-December - early if Thanksgiving didn't fall between then and now. I'm trying to increase my FTP by 5 watts per month from now through the end of January. So far, so good.

If I reach all of my goals, I won't be any fun to go climibing hills with - I hope to be no fun at all by the time the racing season starts in earnest in February :)
Curtis T.
Folsom, CA
Post #: 3
Well it sounds like anyone lucky enough to see you suffer will be having fun.

Do you think all this leaning up will improve or hinder your endurance?
Steve W.
Folsom, CA
Post #: 11
I believe it will increase my endurance because I won't be draggin' around extra pounds. There will be a point though, where too much weight loss affects power output. My plan is to continue dropping the pounds until my power begins to wane. The come back up a few pounds until the power returns to full strength. That should be my ideal riding weight.

A former member
Post #: 837
How does one increase power Steve?
Steve W.
Folsom, CA
Post #: 23

Man, that's a question that would take more than just a few words here to give a useful answer. The basic issue at hand is that in order to improve your power you must be able to measure your progress, and among the best ways to do that are to invest in a fitness test and power meter (such as a PowerTap).

A fitness test reveals your training zones in tems of heart rate and power (watts), and also your current level of fitness in these same areas. The power meter allows you to track and record your efforts over time in much the same way that a heart rate monitor does for your cardio system.

A proper training plan can be built and your progress measured over time. A common methodology for this approach is called Periodization. Basically, it might look like 3 weeks of progressively increasing efforts followed by 1 week of active recovery with each 3 week training block advancing in degrees and/or including additional types of efforts.

Most often, these types of plans are used to acheive a fitness level for a specific purpose, such as a goal race or event (like a century ride). The training program is designed to help you reach a peak at the time of the goal event.

If your goal is simply to increase your power, this type of program can be extremely effective. It's also possible to increase your power without a fitness test or specific training program, but results will almost certainly be drastically lower and come much slower - and without a power meter, they will not be measurable other than by indirect methods, which are more subjective.

With the proper tools, coaching and training program, you can acheive in six to eight months what you otherwise might take years to accomplish.

A former member
Post #: 842

Thank you for a thoughtful answer. I have read Friel's books, and several of Chris Carmichael's, as well as those by Arne Baker, so understood all of what you wrote. Charmichael and Friel both RX periodization.

After racing in my late teens, I just started back riding again 3 yrs ago this coming March. After my initial 6 weeks or so I was riding ~ 200 watts for 1 hr rides. I'm now in the 270 area for 1hr TTs, and ~ 260 for the 1:45 O&B to Beals from Carmichael Pk.

It's getting harder to find gains now, so looking for advice. Powertap is out for now due to $$$, but other suggestions are welcome. Committing to 100 mile weeks the last few months definitely helped.

RideWithGPS reports ride avg power, which is what I've been using. Its results fit well with a rather detailed online calculator, but it 'understeers' if scaled for HR, so not sure how accurate it is. Still provides some indication of progress though.

That last sentence is really intriguing...
Steve W.
Folsom, CA
Post #: 25
Geez Roy, you've probably gained my knowledge than me on this subject - I should be coming to you for advise.

Those are good power numbers - a 70 watt increase over 6 weeks? I want to get on your training plan because my results aren't anywhere near that progressive. A 70 watt increase in my power would easily translate into a Category 2 cool woud that be :)

A former member
Post #: 847
Still rooting for your Cat 2 status Steve, but sorry to say that would be 6 weeks + ~ 3 yrs.

I'd like to do Party Pardee in 3:08 :D