Cycling Meetup Group Message Board RIDE LEVELS + HEALTH & SAFETY POLICY › The Pace of our Rides-Our Understanding of Intermediate Level

The Pace of our Rides-Our Understanding of Intermediate Level

Bea
user 4842656
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 28
LEVEL OF THE RIDES: Our group caters for intermediate cyclists.

PACE: Our understanding of this level is someone that can cycle for 70-100 miles, along a hilly route and at an average of 15mph. I will always let you know the length of the ride and the estimated elevation profile.

STOPS: Within a 70-100 miles ride we usually stop 2-4 times and for no longer than 10 minutes. These are quick stops to refuel and to use the loo. Generally, we have lunch at the end of our rides.

BAIL OUT POLICY:
You join our rides in the understanding that you have the required level. If you overestimate your fitness/ability and you are considerably slowing down the group you will be asked to bail out. It will be your responsibility to get back home by train/cab. I will always let you know whether train stations are available en route so that you can make an informed decision before joining the event.

HEALTH & SAFETY: Cycling is a fun sport but it has inherent risks as well. You should all be aware of them (do a bit of Google search) but as a rule of thumb I'd say we are exposed to falling off our bikes and God forbids, having a road accident. Please, make a conscious decision about whether you want to take those risks. By joining our events you are understanding and accepting the possibility and extent of those risks happening.

Please be mindful that as much as I try to use quiet roads some routes require cycling along busy stretches. However, if during an event I assess a track to be unsafe I will remap on the spot. Make sure that you feel confident about cycling under those circumstances before you join one of our events.

Each of us has the responsibility of minimising any risk by helping each other out; riding safely; abiding by the Highway Code, signalling our movements and any road hazards; and being conscious of each other whilst on the road. Aditionally, it is mandatory that you wear a helmet.

Anyone who is deemed to put the groups' safety at risk will be immediately removed from the group.

A former member
Post #: 6
With all due respect Bea, I did make a comment to you enquiring about the level of pace for the *beginners ride* before attending. I am a cyclist who regularly commutes, I also cycle around 30 miles in one day at the weekends. Yes, granted you did wait for me, what I did not expect was the level of rudeness displayed to me by one other member of the meet up group. What should have been an enjoyable experience for me turned into a total nightmare. I am still very upset about the whole sorry episode and the waste of a day for me.
Bea
user 4842656
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 29
Dear Shadia,

Thanks for your constructive criticism. When you queried about the ride I replied (as stated in the ride description) that I would wait for everyone and so I did. However, I have taken on board your views and I have updated the rides level accordingly. I now clearly indicate that all rides will be at a 12/15 mph pace (unless otherwise stated) and I also advise people that we do not stop other than for quick snacks and for the always well deserved pub lunch. I hope this is helpful for the future. I believe that the ride on 6/3 that will be led by Andy is one that you will thoroughly enjoy and probably will make up for your negative experience on the Surrey loop. Having said that, I do not agree with your comments about the fellow riders but then again, that is a matter of opinion.

Kind Regards

Bea
Kevin P.
user 14174527
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hi Bea - sorry if this info is somewhere and I missed it, but, just a quick question.

What types of bikes are people using on the rides? All on road bikes/drop bars? Or is there a variety i.e. heavier tourers, hybrids etc?

cheers
and hope to get on one of your rides soon

Kev
Bea
user 4842656
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 31
Hi Kev,

Mixed bikes. Actually I sometimes use a road bike and sometimes a hybrid. Whatever you feel more confortable with; however, unless the ride is off-road I wouldn't suggest a Mountain Bike. I would also recommend that you have gears as most rides have some hills to tackle.

Hope this helps

Bea
Kevin P.
user 14174527
London, GB
Post #: 2
Thanks Bea - that's good to know.
Sounds like my trusty tourer will fit comfortably into the mix. smile

Kev
A former member
Post #: 2
Bea.

I have just read your notes about the levels of riding.

Can I ask on whether there will be a beginner's ride in the near future?
Bea
user 4842656
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 38
Hi David,

Unfortunately my rides tend to be for intermediate/advance level. However, I will try to coordinate a beginners ride at some point. I don;t think this will be possible in June but may be in July/August.

In the meantime, you may want to check out the London Cycling Meet Up or the Twickenham Cycling Meet up. Also, have a look at CTC sunday rides. The Central London branch has regular Sunday rides suitable for beginners and you need not be a member of CTC to join them.

Hope this helps.

Bea
Dûn_Bran
user 12550580
London, GB
Post #: 12
I recommend trying some beginners rides in the winter (despite the weather putting people off). This fits better with the short daylight hours and slower pace of the beginners rides, although apply the same to intermediate ones and let's see what we can do! I for one don't want to leave cycling completely out over the colder months, that feels like giving in too easily! What does anyone else think?