DC Area Drone User Group Message Board General Talk - Questions / Articles / Media › Corporate Sponsorship of DC DUG?

Corporate Sponsorship of DC DUG?

Timothy R.
user 2271588
San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

Now that we have a decent size community and a few events under our belt I was thinking about the possibility of getting some sponsors for our group and wanted to get your feedback on the idea.  I don't think there is anything we have an immediate need for cash for but it might be nice for members to be able to get equipment discounts.  I know a lot of people are just getting into this and it would be great if we could ease the financial burden associated with getting started.

Meetup has posted some thoughts on the issue of and best practices in sponsorship at http://meetupblog.mee...­ . Below are some questions I'd like to get your opinion on.

1)  Should we do this? (my suggestion is yes but I don't want to proceed without knowing the group supports this.)

2)  Who should we approach? (I like 3D Robotics but would love other suggestions.  Unless we think we might get more from giving someone exclusive sponsorship.)

3)  What should we ask for?  (My suggestion is we ask for discounts for our members.  Any thoughts on whether we should ask for a specific amount or just see what they offer?)

4)  What can we offer?  (I'm thinking mention on our meetup page and there logo at the bottom of all email I send out but I'd love other suggestions. )

5)  Any other questions I should be asking or issues I should be thinking about?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.  Feel free to email me directly or to post on the message board.

Best,

Timothy

Gustavo Z.
user 56452902
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 4
I wonder if Hobby Hangar (Chantilly, VA) or other local hobby stores could be interested in sponsor our users group?
Christopher V.
chrisvo
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 4
A sponsor might wonder,

If we had a specific mission in mind with the money. For example, collectively building a drone that can compete in the NASA competition or the UAS Video Tracking Challenge, etc, is an attractive mission. We'd put their corporate logo on our drone if we were up to the challenge. If our goals are smaller, (such as holding a meetup event to teach kids how to build their first quadcopter, or having a small "insurance" fund to help fellow users out when their drone has crashed) then we might benefit from trying to set those things up even without sponsorship to show sponsors that we are competent.

It would be nice to have discounts on things like PCB manufacture and CNC routing in addition to the hobby parts. I find myself often at a loss not having access to such things without spending an arm and a leg...