align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

DC Area Drone User Group Message Board Tech Talk - Drone Electronics / Hardware / Software › Sources for Cheap Multicopter Parts

Sources for Cheap Multicopter Parts

Christopher V.
chrisvo
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 5
As I mentioned at the last Fly-in, this website has some amazing deals on multicopter parts:
http://rctimer.com/...­
On my last order, shipping actually didn't seem to take as long as HobbyKing usually does; and they have an expedited shipping option that uses DHL (I was able to get parts within 2 days of my order!)

For example, I bought one of their ARF quadcopter kits for $114:
http://rctimer.com/in...­
This is a knock-off of the DJI F450, but it's actually a pretty impressive knock off. The motors and ESCs included are also pretty decent.

Their hexa kits are around $200

They also sell carbon fiber and carbon/nylon blend props for cheap.

And even more impressively, they sell a full ArduPilot knock-off for just $89. ($149 if you get their kit with GPS and telemetry). It seems to have the same major components as the original ArduPilot (and is compatible with ArduPilot firmware), so this is a pretty amazing price for a great autopilot board.
Gustavo Z.
user 56452902
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 10
thanks for sharing! their prices are really competitive, I'm even evaluating buying their telemetry kit http://rctimer.com/in...­

But this week I'll try to finish the quadcopter with the basics, later I'll add the accessories... for now I just hope it flys :-)
Christopher V.
chrisvo
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 6
I finished building my quadcopter from RCTimer yesterday. It flies quite stable and quiet outdoors and indoors. The ArduPilot and telemetry kit are both completely indistinguishable in functionality from the original ArduPilot and 3DR Radio. The frame is extremely strong and pretty much exactly the same as the original DJI F450.

Here are some pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/40...­

Here's the breakdown:

1. Frame, ESC, Motors, Props ($114):
-- RCTimer SK30A & SM450 V2 Black Quadrotor Kit (DJI F450 Knock-Off)

2. Autopilot, GPS, and Telemetry ($149):
-- RCTimer ArduFlyer 900 MHz Kit (ArduPilot Knock-Off)

3. Battery ($22):
-- 2x RCTimer 11.1V 2200mAh Battery (can be hooked up individually or in parallel)

TOTAL: $285 (everything except radio)

For about $80 more you can build a hexacopter instead (by swapping #1 with a hexa kit) but then I would also recommend upgrading the battery to a 4S lipo @ 5000 mAh or so.
Gustavo Z.
user 56452902
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 11
speaking of cheap parts... have you seen the "cyber monday" sale at 3D Robotics and Hobby King sites?
Jonathan R
user 61079222
Washington, DC
Post #: 5
anyone out there flying the aeroquad? www.aeroquad.com
Timothy R.
user 2271588
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 4
Any idea what the difference is between the SK30A & SM550V1 Red/White Multicopter Set and the slightly more expensive HP-550Black Multicopter Sets on RC Timer? I think I am going to get one of these for the kit build.
Christopher V.
chrisvo
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 10
Same frame, ESC and props.

A few differences.

1. The HP-550 has supposedly better and more durable motors; i.e. with better magnets and bearings.
2. The RM550 V1 frames do not have the integrated PCB so you have to have a separate power distribution PCB, the V2 in the more expensive frame does have integrated PCB which leads to a cleaner wiring.
3. The motors in the HP-550 kit support are rated for up to 4S whereas the other kit's motors are rated for up to 3S operation. You could probably break the rules and use a 4S battery on the other kit too I guess but 3S is the highest it's supposed to work with apparently.

I personally would get the HP-550 set.

HobbyKing usually has good prices on batteries. Make sure you buy your batteries from the USA warehouse or else be prepared to wait 4 weeks for your stuff...