DC Area Drone User Group Message Board Activities / Events / Projects › Awesome conference and flying opportunity

Awesome conference and flying opportunity

Timothy R.
user 2271588
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 12
DC DUG member Paul Good will be running an awesome music and gaming conference January 3-6 and has offered to set aside some of the conference space for people who would like to do some indoor flying. Rather than set up an official fly-in event I was thinking people can use this message thread to coordinate a time to get together and fly as a community if there is interest. Details about the conference can be found at this link. Please note that you will have to have tickets to Magfest in order to go in and fly but given what you get for the price of the ticket I would say it's well worth it. Please post here if you are interested in doing some flying at magfest and hopefully we will be able to hone in on a time and answer any questions folks may have.
paul g.
III_Demon
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
hi guys! paul here.

the indoor fly was damn cool, and MAGFest is being held in a HUGE expo center, so i've arranged for some space we can use.

i have no way to offer special-case free passes for you guys right now, so... sorry if this comes off as me advertising my event, thats not my intention at all. i think many of you would love the event, its an entirely volunteer-run, non-profit affair. you will find many like-minded DIY types there, from arcade collectors to game console hackers to film makers and more.

the space we've got for flying is comparable to the gym we were using at UMCP, and its available every evening for a few hours, from around 6 pm to midnight. there is also some nice outdoor space between the expo center and the potomac river. if the weather is nice to us, it might be good for some outdoor time.

please do let me know if you have any questions. i hope i can see at least a few of you there!
Christopher V.
chrisvo
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 13
I think it'd be fun to fly at MAGFest.
The best day would be the 5th of January for me...
Kevin G.
user 72263132
Washington, DC
Post #: 2
I'll be there probably every day, flying whenever anyone else is around to fly. And I'm probably trying to put together a small Bollywood dance number for the next episode of my camera show, and film it (at least partially) from my hexcopter. Soooo..... that should be fun. :)
Jens
bolchj
Gaithersburg, MD
Post #: 1
Thanks for the tip on Magfest. Sounds like a great event that combines several of my interests. I'll probably just go for a single day though. Christopher said Saturday, 1/5, works best for him. Paul mentioned that the indoor flying space is available 6pm - midnight. That works for me too. It looks like Kevin is all in. I don't have a drone yet (not until the build party). Are there any other flyers or observers planning on coming out on Saturday evening? If so, it sounds like we should set that date/time so we can preregister.
paul g.
III_Demon
Washington, DC
Post #: 2
once you guys get organized, contact me to get set up with the space.

.... i'd leave a number or something, but if you walk into magfest and start asking 'wheres paul?' you'll usually find me as fast as possible. =] kevin can also find me pretty easy.
Christopher V.
chrisvo
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 15
I'm going to have to skip this one, because I'm leaving for vacation on Monday and I need to get some work done.... sorry guys
Kevin G.
user 72263132
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
So it looks like it will just be a couple of us. I have my 550 w/NAZA build that I'll be flying and an ARdrone2 that may or may not work. :P So definitely only come out if you have a greater interest in MAGfest. I'll still be there this evening flying. It will just be a modest gang.
paul g.
III_Demon
Washington, DC
Post #: 5
i just put together a really rough collection of the footage i got from our copters at magfest.

http://youtu.be/H1Ij0...­

its mostly crap, and there was a problem with one of the gimbal servos causing a twitch you can see every once in a while, but there are a few seconds of gold here and there.
Timothy R.
user 2271588
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 24
Was this all with the Parrot AR? Obviously not broadcast quality but I can see bits of this you could use for a Magfest highlight real. Thanks for sharing. By next year I'm sure you are going to be producing high quality stuff.