DC Area Drone User Group Message Board Activities / Events / Projects › National Robotics Week April 2014. CRITICAL STEM opportunity!

National Robotics Week April 2014. CRITICAL STEM opportunity! Let's propose some events and make it happen!

Closed to new replies

Christopher V.
chrisvo
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 328

National Robotics Week was established by H.R. 1055 as the second week of April. It is ALL about education and inspiring students of all ages to learn STEM concepts and increase public awareness of robotics technology and its social and cultural impact on our nation. The real focus is on getting kids in the USA excited about science and engineering so they can build a better tomorrow, rather than fearing it.

I believe that it is critical for us to participate in National Robotics Week, and the only way it's going to be successful is if we collaborate NOW to put together some events to celebrate celebrate, show off, and teach about drones.

I personally recommend that we hold some sort of drone festival or fair! - Think like "maker faire" except all about drones! Invite people from all over (universities, companies, individuals) to show and tell with their drones! Could have scheduled drone demos and exciting talks, maybe a "drone flea market" where vendors can sell things like copter kits or other merchandise related to drones, some interactive activities (like letting kids fly some drones, learn soldering, etc). Clearly an event of this scale requires a huge amount of organization and coordination, but if we start now we really could pull it off I think.

Any other ideas? Please brainstorm! We can have more than one event. I am also hoping that we can really form a collaboration with industry, DARC, DUGN, and all other drone stakeholders on this really great STEM opportunity.