Jason D.
user 11888543
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 18
Howdy everyone. Im a relative newbie. I recently acquired a Phantom 2 with a zenmuse gimbal and gopro 3 for doing aerial videography, and am interested in setting up an FPV system. Does anyone have any recommendations on brand or specification? I don't think I need anything beyond 1000m range (the range of my transmitter) and it can't be 2.4ghz (transmitter frequency). I would prefer a goggle setup, maybe a fat shark dominator, boscam, or skyview, but not quite sure which yet (anyone use any of these?). In total I would prefer to spend under $500 for all the necessary parts. I think I will be using a DJI Mini OSD telemetry unit on it as well. I don't need head tracking.

Any recommendations tips or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Heres a vid of a recent flight near Baltimore:
Christopher V.
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 371
I think a 400mw 5.8G boscam style system is considered "mid range" and would do the job for you. FPV is very much a YMMV thing, it depends on a lot of things such as your aircraft's altitude, buildings and other obstructions, sources of noise and interference, antenna design (very important), frequency band, etc etc etc

In general, the most impactful design decision for an FPV system seems to be antenna design; My 5.8 200mw boscam gear gets maybe 600m in clear LOS with the stock antennas. With cloverleaf antennas can increase that to 1km. I've even heard of people getting crazy ranges - this guy gets over 18km on just 200mw 5.8: http://www.youtube.co...­

Many people suggest that lower frequencies penetrate better through buildings and other obstructions. Frequencies such as 1.3GHz and 900MHz. I have not done enough testing on my own to see a difference compared to 5.8, YMMV

As far as brand names, Fatshark and ImmersionRC seem to be the leading brand names used by professionals, and many people in our group swear by them. I have personally seen no significant increase in performance with a brand name vs. the more generic "Chinese brands" such as Boscam or Skyview but that's just from observation, not testing or specifications

Conclusion: I don't know what I'm really talking about, but my guess from personal experience is that you'll be fine with 400mw @ 5.8GHz based on your opening post.
Daniel A.
user 74033952
Vienna, VA
Post #: 56
Jason. You and I should talk, we both got into this hobby for similar reasons. For your needs you definitely want 5.8ghz due to the short range, small antenna, and integration with FPV goggles. Most of the goggles use 2.4, 5.8 with the option of using an external input.

I recommend:
- Fatshark Dominators, with the 5.8ghz module - The Skyzones are sweet too, but they have a smaller FOV (25 degrees)
- SMA circular polarized antennas (not RP-SMA)
- Immersion Tx 600mah (it's overkill but 200mah might be weak for you)
- Sony Super HAD 600tvl Camera - http://www.getfpv.com...­
or The Sealwolf Pixim Camera - http://www.getfpv.com...­
- 2.8mm is as wide as you want, 3.6mm is closer to human vision (wider = lower detail)

I think most people overlook the importance of the camera, myself included. The high end CCD cameras can handle wide dynamic range, plus they have the much needed color depth and saturation.

Other tips:
- Antenna placement is key - The antenna needs to be visible to the receiver from any angle, especially with 5.8ghz.
- Long range requires altitude, unless you have a clear line of sight.
- Do not use the GoPro with gimbal as the FPV, it will disorient you. However you can buy a video switch. http://www.hobbyking....­
- I've been testing ND filters and polarizers on the camera to improve the exposure. I'll let you know how it goes.

I personally use 900mhz with custom circularity polarized antennas because I wanted to be to fly behind buildings and trees. For the most part, I can do that with ease.
Jason D.
user 11888543
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 19
Fantastic info guys I really appreciate the feedback!
Daniel if you get some free time, could i call you and briefly pick your brain this weekend (or whenever is convenient for you)?