addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Mailing List Archive

Subject Sender Date
Re: [atheists-27] Atheist quotes - I am not confused, give me one example where a "democratic" socialism was or is working.  Socialism meaning = not a democratic system, because always principles of Socialism are abolished. Woody L. Mar 14, 2016 9:16 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Atheist quotes - Woody, you’re confused. The “Democratic” term i Robert W A. Mar 14, 2016 8:57 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Atheist quotes - Tom, a very nice short compendium about Marxism, Socialism, and related. We do not have any good example of "democratic socialism" because such socialism is impossible. The very nice guy name Bernie Sanders in t Woody L. Mar 14, 2016 8:54 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Atheist quotes - In the United States multiple laws respecting an establishment of monotheism were passed during the height of the Cold War in the 1950's Mathew G. Mar 14, 2016 8:00 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Atheist quotes - The communism that was exemplified by Russia, China and a nu Don W. Mar 14, 2016 1:09 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Atheist quotes - You are confusing Soviet/Maoist style Sociali Robert W A. Mar 14, 2016 12:36 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Atheist quotes - Marxism, one of history's most monumental failures, became a cult, like a religion. Naturally, Marx denounced all religions, because they wer Tom F. Mar 13, 2016 10:07 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Atheist quotes - As I was watching the video, I noticed quite a few quotes from Karl Marx, I also noticed that there were a few quotes that equivalized religion with Marxism. Now, I understand that Marxism is a philosophy for the formation of government and economy, not Bo M. Mar 13, 2016 9:43 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Atheist quotes - Thanks Allison! I really enjoyed it. I even thou Don W. Mar 13, 2016 1:21 PM
Atheist quotes - Greetings Fellow Atheists, A friend sent me this link to some atheist quotes on Youtube and I thought I would share them with you. Enjoy! Allison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v­=KMKPVECn0J0&feature=youtube_g­data_player Allison S. M. Mar 12, 2016 12:49 PM
Reason Rally Volunteering - WASH is or Don W. Mar 10, 2016 2:54 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - Ah, I better understand your statement now. I agree. ------------------------------­-------------- On Wed, 3/9/16, Mathew Goldstein wrote: Subject: Re: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights To: [address removed] Siggy Mar 9, 2016 9:24 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - The role of religion in the UK, and most European countries, is mainly ceremonial and symbolic. So there is far less stigma associated with atheism or skepticism than in the Tom F. Mar 9, 2016 7:41 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - This is not rare, if by "this" we are referring to common/shared statements against acts of violence and imprisonment targeting people for dissenting from the majority religious beliefs. That is what I said in my previous post. What I said, and I will r Mathew G. Mar 9, 2016 5:10 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Without God in Baghdad - Very interesting article. ------------------------------­-------------- On Wed, 3/9/16, Don Wharton wrote: Subject: [atheists-27] Without God in Baghdad To: [address removed] Date: Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 3:09 P Siggy Mar 9, 2016 4:20 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - I agree that sometimes there can be self-serving motives when people say things like this but I'm going to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and believe that he spoke from the heart. Maybe it was his choice of words but he didn't seems to be making a Siggy Mar 9, 2016 4:15 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - Preview not available Don W. Mar 9, 2016 3:23 PM
Without God in Baghdad - Preview not available Don W. Mar 9, 2016 3:08 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - Notice, however, that this guy is a Bishop in the UK. Does anybody see such a statement coming from a Bishop in the US? Sent from my i Robert W A. Mar 9, 2016 3:07 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - Preview not available Don W. Mar 9, 2016 3:01 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - This is awesome. As Bishop Lang states,   "History has shown time and time again that when one minority group is oppressed with impunity, zeteothink Mar 9, 2016 2:04 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - Christians are attacked by some non-Christian governments and populations, atheists are often vulnerable to attack in the same countries Mathew G. Mar 9, 2016 2:04 PM
Catholic Defends Atheist Rights - Preview not available Don W. Mar 9, 2016 1:07 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Dog Whistle Fail - The SNL video is hilarious. - Jared On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Siggy < info@meetup.c Jared R. Mar 8, 2016 6:46 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Dog Whistle Fail - Incisive editorial. Funny video. ------------------------------­-------------- On Tue, 3/8/16, Don Wharton wrote: Subject: [atheists-27] Dog Whistle Fail To: [address removed] Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2016, 4:15 PM Siggy Mar 8, 2016 6:01 PM
Dog Whistle Fail - Preview not available Don W. Mar 8, 2016 4:15 PM
Darwin Day Event with US Senator - Preview not available Don W. Mar 8, 2016 3:48 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Preview not available Don W. Mar 5, 2016 1:12 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - I agree that no political party has the monopoly on anything, rationality, irrationality, or any other characteristic. What I do think is that the negative elements of the GOP have grown wildly since the first election of Barack Obama. That election cycle Siggy Mar 5, 2016 3:50 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - The free entertainment that I derive from reading these conversations are so fulfilling that I feel obligated to sign over my house as payment. - Bo On Friday, March 4, 2016, Jared Reeves < Bo M. Mar 5, 2016 2:36 AM
RE: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Preview not available Don W. Mar 4, 2016 4:56 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - This is how a friend who is a conservative Evangelical describes Trump supporters: Trump supporters are Obama's "bitter clingers" who have been relentlessly mocked for their values while watching what l Mary B. Mar 4, 2016 4:03 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - The great political re-alignment taking place right now pits those who support something close to the status quo vs. those (like Trump's followers) who want radical change. Tom F. Mar 4, 2016 3:51 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Preview not available Don W. Mar 4, 2016 3:29 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Don,   Again it seems like you are painting with very broad brush strokes, when you conclude that someone who claims to be a liberal has certain cognitive think Jared R. Mar 4, 2016 2:26 PM
Daily Stormer and Stormfront. - Preview not available Don W. Mar 4, 2016 1:57 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Preview not available Don W. Mar 4, 2016 12:47 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Preview not available Don W. Mar 4, 2016 12:25 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Don, I appreciate your willingness to consider opposing ideas.  However, your evidence does not support your claim.  I don't like defending Trump, because t Jared R. Mar 4, 2016 12:11 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Preview not available Don W. Mar 4, 2016 10:46 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - I agree that one cannot conclude from Trump's speeches that he, himself is racist, but to assert that he didn't intentionally blow any dog whistles Robert W A. Mar 4, 2016 10:08 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Tom, If you want to argue that authoritarianism is bad, because there are negative unintended consequences, that is understandable.  But to argue those consequences (racism) are intended is a different matter altogether. Jared R. Mar 4, 2016 8:37 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Racist or not, Trump is a dangerous man. Neither liberal, conservative, Republican, or Democrat, he is in a league of his own. And his authoritaria Tom F. Mar 4, 2016 8:29 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Donald Trump is a complete wacko.  But I am not sure what is more crazy--the crazy rhetoric he spouts, or the conspiracy theories of this group.  This group sees coded messages everywhere, and no matter the evidence, it confirms your conf Jared R. Mar 4, 2016 8:14 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - - From the comment section of the Washington Post in an article about Paul Ryan, Trump, and the Republican nomination https://www.washingtonpost.com­/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/03/01­/paul-ryan-fires-a-warning-sho­t-at-trump-and-at-his-own-part­y/?tid=hybrid_ Siggy Mar 4, 2016 2:17 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - And the Republican Party context that Trump is operating in is highly ideological. Republicans seem to think that Republican Party rule Mathew G. Mar 4, 2016 12:27 AM
RE: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Preview not available Don W. Mar 3, 2016 11:03 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Racism has become more subtle and indirect, less in-yo-face. But don't expect to win an argument by simply accusing your opponent of racism. Tom F. Mar 3, 2016 7:44 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - For those who dont know Ian Haney López Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class On Mar 3,[masked]:35 PM, "Don Wh Joe Mar 3, 2016 6:29 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - This is a cut and paste from the Wikipedia article on Dog Wh Don W. Mar 3, 2016 6:25 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Racism on Thom Hartmann - Preview not available Mark S. Mar 3, 2016 4:49 PM
Racism on Thom Hartmann - Preview not available Don W. Mar 3, 2016 2:35 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew G. Mar 1, 2016 5:36 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew, This topic is getting stale, and you have yet to prove your argument that, “(m)any Republicans do not like democracy…” or the Republicans don’t Jared R. Mar 1, 2016 1:39 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Compromise involves reciprocation. If the compromise offer is one way, the offer is that you compromise while we will not compromi Mathew G. Mar 1, 2016 12:58 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew, Are we discussing "compromise" or "reciprocation"?  Either side can compromise (give in) if they really wanted to.  Reciprocity isn't required or enforceable in this context.  So let' Jared R. Mar 1, 2016 11:46 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Although the idea of asking the other pa Mathew G. Mar 1, 2016 11:03 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew, I completely understand the difference.  However, I also understand the difference between rhetoric and reality.  The Republicans have taken no action, because the POTUS hasn’t nominated Jared R. Mar 1, 2016 10:15 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - You do not see the difference between opposing a nominee and declaring a refusal to consider any nominee of a sitting president? Mathew G. Mar 1, 2016 9:43 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew, You have a long way to go if you are imply that somehow proves "many Republicans do not like democracy..."  Otherwise, I don't see your point. - Jared Jared R. Mar 1, 2016 8:47 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - The reality is that this difference is significant and is reflected by differences not only in attitudes but also in behaviors. No Mathew G. Mar 1, 2016 8:36 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew, First, you are saying the Republicans haven't  fulfilled their Constitutional duty when no one has been nominated?  That is not possible.  You are arguing their against rhetoric.  Tough words and posturing Jared R. Mar 1, 2016 8:25 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - It is blazingly obvious that the Republicans are not fulfilling any duty to consent to a Supreme Court nominee when they are declaring t Mathew G. Mar 1, 2016 8:19 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Don, Are there meetups in this group that do debates or is all discussion held through email? - Bo On Tuesday, March 1, 2016, Jared Reeves < [address removed] > wrote: Bo M. Mar 1, 2016 8:15 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew, I think most people who follow politics were aware of that analysis concerning authoritarian personality types and voting trends.  This doesn't support your argument. Also, you don Jared R. Mar 1, 2016 8:11 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew, You said, “(m) Jared R. Mar 1, 2016 8:06 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew G. Feb 29, 2016 8:27 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Again, I said that Republicans do not like poor people voting on the grounds that poor people vote for candidates who promise to give po Mathew G. Feb 29, 2016 7:10 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - These debates are very entertaining. *eats popcorn* On Monday, February 29, 2016, Jared Reeves < [address removed] > wrote: Bo M. Feb 29, 2016 6:32 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Don, I would be interested in this evidence.  A few right wing nut jobs who don't support democracy isn't evidence that many in the Republican party are opposed to democracy.  It is one thing to argue that Repub Jared R. Feb 29, 2016 2:53 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Preview not available Don W. Feb 29, 2016 2:29 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - What is the difference really between democrats and republicans? I know absolutely nothing about politics besides the obvious, Democrat = Democracy & Republican = Republic. Are there certain policies that each one has?  - Bo On Monday, Feb Bo M. Feb 29, 2016 11:56 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - They do not like the part where poor people vote no taxes and welfare for themselves. They are ok with democracy for responsible v Mathew G. Feb 29, 2016 8:49 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mathew, Wow, you really beat that straw man to death.  Many Republicans don't like democracy?  I recommend genuinely researching opposing ideas, rather than making caricatures based on bad assumptions. Jared R. Feb 29, 2016 8:06 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - The view that a large percentage of voters do not pay taxes and receive welfare and vote for candidates who promise them no taxes and we Mathew G. Feb 28, 2016 11:41 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Mitt Romney lost for several reasons. One was failure to articulate an immigration policy (except for hoping that illegals would "self-deport Tom F. Feb 28, 2016 7:27 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - There were, and still are, people who said that Romney as president would be dangerous because he is Mormon. Romney did not refuse Mathew G. Feb 27, 2016 8:41 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Everyone, Shall we disregard the possible detrimental effects that religion can cause? Homosexuals being cast out of their own homes before they reach maturity, extremist groups developing and just overall oppression? I was talking to a Bo M. Feb 27, 2016 6:57 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Criticism of Sam Harris views on meditation - I don't see what the problem with meditation is. It doesn't require supernatural belief. It's simply a mind-training process. ------------------------------­-------------- On Fri, 2/26/16, Mathew Goldstein wrote: Subject: [atheist Siggy Feb 26, 2016 6:20 PM
Criticism of Sam Harris views on meditation - Mr. Lindsay wrote a fair and reasonable criticism of Sam Mathew G. Feb 26, 2016 5:40 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Religious speech is allowed everywhere that free speech is allowed, including in public plazas and parks, in addition to privately owned Mathew G. Feb 26, 2016 9:51 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - No, I think religion should teach whichever misinformation or propaganda they choose to. Free speech and rel Derek Feb 26, 2016 8:55 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Bo, I think restricting ideas and speech is a slippery slope. Misinformation and bad ideas will always exist. You fight bad ideas with better ideas, not by banning bad ideas.  Luckily the first amendment protects speech Jared R. Feb 26, 2016 7:49 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Hi guys, Does anyone agree that it should be illegal for mosques, churches and temples, to teach people that evolution and the Big Bang are false? And is it illegal to create a  cult? - Bo On Thursday, February 25, 2016, Bo M. Feb 25, 2016 9:05 PM
Broad Base of Reason Rally 2016 - Preview not available Don W. Feb 25, 2016 3:25 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Re: "slut shaming" Don and Vineet ~ WTF?!?! - Ha-ha! When I read this email, I was taken aback. I have no idea how our emails, which were pretty clear that we support women, were misunderstood. Anyway, I hope the air has been cleared now. On Feb 18,[masked] Vineet Feb 18, 2016 7:30 PM
RE: [atheists-27] Re: "slut shaming" Don and Vineet ~ WTF?!?! - Ob Boy, I laughed out loud with the post below. Don W. Feb 18, 2016 3:12 AM
RE: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - Preview not available Don W. Feb 16, 2016 12:54 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - Maybe I am wrong, but I do not think any of the Justices disagree with original intent and I am not aware of any Justice, current or his Mathew G. Feb 16, 2016 12:53 AM
RE: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - Preview not available Don W. Feb 15, 2016 1:38 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - The meaning of the Constitution DOES change based in the ever-evolving morality and sensibilities of the population. The Constitution was designed Glenn Feb 15, 2016 12:50 PM
Re: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - While I don't agree with all of Scalia's decisions, I do appreciate his judicial philosophy.   The best argument for the originalist int Jared R. Feb 15, 2016 10:32 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - I agree with what Don about Justice Scalia. His jurisprudence was anchored in his conservative Catholicism. He talked about how be Mathew G. Feb 15, 2016 9:43 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - I'm glad to hear that at least some men are aware of the problem of slut shaming and the preposterous double standards for women in most, if not all societies. The more religious and socially conservative, the worse the double standards seems to be. That Siggy Feb 15, 2016 8:40 AM
Re: "slut shaming" Don and Vineet ~ WTF?!?! - Don and Vineet ~ where do you get off with your "slut shaming" and how am i to respect you? -- friend of Smokey the B. Feb 15, 2016 7:06 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - I find it hard to believe when I learn about conservative Supreme Court Justices. How can they be conservative when the constitution is so liberal. It's a sad loss for his family, but it's definitely good news for the US. Vineet Feb 15, 2016 1:33 AM
RE: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - Preview not available Don W. Feb 15, 2016 12:24 AM
Re: [atheists-27] Slut Shaming + Scalia - Everyone, What are your thoughts on capitalism and the social separation that it causes? - Bo On Sunday, February 14, 2016, Don Wharton < don1wharto Bo M. Feb 14, 2016 11:35 PM
Slut Shaming + Scalia - Preview not available Don W. Feb 14, 2016 11:20 PM
Reason Rally 2016 Showcases Power of Nonreligious Voters - Don W. Feb 14, 2016 1:45 PM

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy