DC Atheists Meetup Message Board › Bertrand Russell Quote

Bertrand Russell Quote

Norm
RealityActivist
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 670
If you think that your belief is based upon reason, you will support it by argument, rather then by persecution, and will abandon it if the argument goes against you. But if your belief is based on faith, you will realize that argument is useless and will therefore result to force either in the form of persecution or by stunting and distorting the minds of the young in what is called "education."

◊ Bertrand Russell
Richard A.
racoach
Washington, DC
Post #: 30
I don't recall the context for Russell's point as quoted, but there is another classification of belief/faith reaction to argument; simply ignoring the argument. I think that to be the most frequent reaction (or lack of same), and encourages the leaders of aggressive faith sheeple to keep the caldron bubbling and boiling to ensure their own tenure.

It is the leadership and dedicated followers we need be concerned about - they're the ones who seek to dominate society. Those who fail to react to reasoning argument, which can include most religious "moderates" and "liberals" and promoters of tolerance for "people's beliefs" lend support to the Dominionist in their failure to assert their support of logic, reason, and scientific method.

(Just in case someone reads this, understand that peoples' civil right to belief whatever idiocy they want must be supported and defended but the belief, itself, is not a proper topic for tolerance. It is assuredly not the case that what people "believe" has no effect on society and thence to me and mine!) (Jefferson was in error, but I voted for him anyway.)

I maintain the plank "I have no belief, only knowledge or opinion." in my philosophical platform.- Richard