addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DC Atheists Meetup Message Board › A Message I Think Should Not Be Necessary...

A Message I Think Should Not Be Necessary...

Richard A.
but I'll post it anyway, because there seems to have been an infraction of reasonable etiquette, of generally understood professional conduct, of organized group ethics, of good business judgment, and consideration for fellow ideological travelers (or any one of the above).

These Meetups (and similar gatherings) have the purpose of getting us "free thinking cats" together to begin knowing each other and get over that feeling that we are "alone" in our rejection of superstition in conducting our private and public lives; building a spirit of community.

Other reason for our involvement in the meetings is to provide a setting so we can learn from each other, trade ideas related to our choice of reality description, share information to use in our conversations with those who cling to superstition, and not feel we must censor our conversation about superstition or living without superstition.

I figure most of you are much like me in this thought: I don't want or need a leader - I do want those who are so inclined to organize and facilitate. Since Meetup and the group attending bestow a certain authority to the organizer, I shall exercise it.

ANY BEHAVIOR WHICH VIOLATES THE PURPOSE OF OUR GATHERING (admittedly implicit to this point) WILL RESULT IN THE INDIVIDUAL BEING ASKED TO DISASSOCIATE FROM THE GROUP. (The organizer has authority to remove a member of the group.)

This is not an attempt to censor any conversation which takes place during a meeting, though it is preferred the participants in the conversation conduct themselves in a mannerly and considerate way. NOTE: Since we are, according to surveys, the group least trusted by the majority of the US population, we do ourselves a favor to behave publicly more circumspectly than the ignorant, misguided, and/or stupid of those amongst us. I am very impressed with the groups I have contact with in their usual adherence to intelligent and mature conversation.

The explicit behaviors which will lead to disassociation are:
1) using the member list for any reason other than furtherance of the common goal/purpose noted above,
2) attempts during a meeting or on the message board to solicit someone's interest or participation in an activity which does not directly further the common ideology (rational definition of reality and how to live in it),
3) using the member list for any purpose whatsoever without the organizer's consent,
4) quoting information from the message board without the specific agreement of the one who posted it,
5) intentional deception concerning individual interest and reason for being part of this group, and
6) contacting any member of the group without their specific prior agreement to be contacted outside the meeting or message board.

If you have a question of what constitutes commonly accepted behavior or observe a questionable practice, let me know and we'll talk about it. This is not a request for "big-brother watching" type situation, but rather a coming together for common interest and preservation of what we have going for our common semi-ideological direction.

We do not all have the same interests (thank Zeus), becoming acquainted involves knowing something about other people, and we are all adults (whether mature or not) so exercising choice in what we care to discuss is completely up to us individually. I think we, as a group, have done remarkably well in the "getting along" category. It is expected that as we grow, there will be an occasional pustule needing attention. As your organizer, if there is a situation or occasion needing attention, I will give the attention needed. I am convinced the mission takes precedence over the individual (including myself) in matters affecting the group. - Richard