DC Atheists Meetup Message Board › Freethought Forum / Reason & Society

Freethought Forum / Reason & Society

ralphellectual
ralphellectual
Washington, DC
Post #: 43
As my messages to the listservs run by Religion Reality Check (esp. the philosophy group, which most concerns me) keep bouncing, and since it is not the most effective way to get intellectual content out to the maximum number of people in the atheist/freethought/humanist "community", I have chosen another route for all future substantive communications.

I'm finding the Freethought Forum the best venue so far for serious online intellectual discussion, partly because of the combination of bulletin board discussion and blogging that it allows, and because there seems to be an expanding, diverse base of sophisticated writers. Since I've sampled so few web sites, I can't judge others, save to say that Secularity.com is an adolescent meat market by comparison.

In addition to my interventions in bulletin board discussions, I've started up a blog on that site:

Reason & Society
http://www.freethough...­

Quite some time ago, perhaps a year or two ago, Richard asked me to research sources on secularism on the web. I probably didn't get all that far, but I put the main secularist web sites I could find into my own atheism web guide.

Over the past two days I've had cause top consider the need to research secularism, not only to advocate it but to understand the sociological and ideological components of the problem better. I've spent a good portion of this first day of the new year reviewing some unpublished scholarly works on secularist issues that were sent to me, and there is some good work being done. I think we need to work to put the best work in the forefront, as our most famous representatives are rather uneven in the quality of their output.

For my latest thoughts on the subject, see the second entry from the top on my blog, titled:

"Religious ideologies & the social order, secularization theory & cross-cultural studies"