Join us for a three day backpack through a beautiful, remote area of West Virginia. We'll be hiking next to a scenic creek and through high elevation meadows. Beginners are welcome. This is an easy trip. It's a good way to spend a hot 4th of July.
Hike 5 miles along Seneca Creek to our campsite. We're going to camp next to Seneca Falls. It's a great (and cold) swimming hole.
9 mile day hike to the top of Spruce Knob (the state high point at 4863 feet). Camp at Seneca Falls.
Hike between 5 and 7 miles back to the car, depending on the route we take.
We're going to meet for carpool at the Vienna Metro (North) at 9 AM on Friday morning. We'll wait there for 15 minutes. There's a place near the metro where cars can be safely parked for three days.
If you'd prefer to drive directly to the trailhead, meet us there at 1:15 PM. The drive will take about 3.5 hours.
I'll send out more information to the participants before the trip. This will include directions, a trail map, my cell phone number, and more info about how to find us at the Vienna Metro.
When you RSVP, please let me know if you can drive or need a ride, what gear you have (tent, stove, water filter, etc), and if you're planning on bringing a dog. Please make sure your dog has frontline plus or an equivalent to ward off ticks.
If something comes up, please update your RSVP. Other people might want to go.
Make sure you bring your own food.
- Backpack with shoulder straps and hip belt. We'll be carrying all of our gear throughout the trip.
- Sleeping bag. A 30 degree bag will be fine.
- Sleeping pad
- Hiking boots: sneakers or trail shoes are not adequate!
- At least two quarts of water
- Rain jacket and pants or poncho
- A fleece or another jacket for warmth
- Headlamp / flashlight
- Your own food (two breakfasts, three lunches, two dinners)
- Your own cooking pot, utensils
- Bag for food and soaps that can be hung from a tree (bear bag)
- Bug spray
- Sun block
- Little bit of t.p.
- Foot care stuff
- An extra shirt and pants. Synthetic clothes are better than cotton.
- Extra socks
I recommend putting your spare clothes, food, and anything else you don't want to get wet inside of large ziplock bags within your pack.
- Sandals or water shoes
- Have a ride: Please post where you are coming from, what time, and how many spots you have.
- Need a ride: Post that you need a ride and contact any offers via e-mail for those that are offering rides.
Hope you can join us!