Now that Spring is here, join us for a moderate, 15 mile backpacking trip in the Jeremy's Run area of Northern Shenandoahs. It's in a nice area of the park. Good views, trails and camping.
The first day will be about 9 miles long, mostly at higher elevation. We'll be camping next to a stream in a secluded area of the park. The terrain is not rough. The next day, we'll be hiking along a stream back to the cars. We're going to cross the stream several times. Usually not a big deal, but I recommend bringing a pair of sandals.
This will be our meetup group's first event, but I've organized quite a few backpacking trips in the past. Click here for some pictures from a previous hike along this loop.
Campfires are not allowed in the Shenandoahs.
We're going to meet for carpool at the Vienna Metro (North) at 8:30 AM on Saturday morning. We'll wait there for 15 minutes before we leave.
If you'd prefer to drive directly to the trailhead, meet us there at 10:30 AM.
The drive will take about 1.5 hours.
I'll send out more information to the participants before the trip. This will include directions, a trail map, my cell phone number, and more info about how to find us at the Vienna Metro.
Make sure you bring your own food.
- Backpack with shoulder straps and hip belt.
- Sleeping bag. A 30 degree bag will be fine.
- Tent (if you don't have one, find someone who's willing to share)
- Sleeping pad
- Hiking boots (no sneakers)
- At least two quarts of water
- Rain jacket and pants or poncho
- Headlamp / flashlight
- Your own food (one breakfast, two lunches, one dinner)
- Cooking pot, utensils
- Bag for food that can be hung from a tree (bear bag)
- Bug spray
- Sun block
- Little bit of t.p.
- Foot care stuff
- An extra shirt
In case it rains, I recommend putting your sleeping bag and clothing in plastic bags. Ziplocks work great for clothing.
- Extra clothes
- Camp shoes
If you have a stove or water filter that you can share with the group, let me know. Please be respectful and update your RSVP if you can't make it. Dogs are cool; just make sure they have Frontline Plus to protect them from ticks.
- Have a ride: Please post where you are coming from, what time, and how many spots you have.
- Need a ride: Post that you need a ride and contact any offers via e-mail for those that are offering rides.
Hope you can join us!