DC Health 2.0 STAT - Web 2.0/Social Media/Informatics Message Board › Reminder and Directions for Maryland New Media / Web 2.0 meetup with Matt M

Reminder and Directions for Maryland New Media / Web 2.0 meetup with Matt Monjan from Discovery this Wedneday, June 17th at 6:30 -

David B.
davidbburn
Annapolis, MD
Morning,
I just wanted to send out a quick note to remind you about the Web 2.0 meetup this Wednesday evening. I noticed that we have a lot of maybes, and I am hoping many of you will be able to join us. Matt Monjan will be here, from Discovery Communications to discuss how Discovery is working with school systems and educators to more effectively use Web 2.0 and New Media approaches that engage the digital native. If you have never seen Matt speak, you are in for a good time and yes, he has met many of the actors from shows such as the deadliest catch, survivorman and dirtiest jobs.

I have heard from many of you at 6:00 is too early, so Matt has agreed to present at 6:30. For those that arrive at 6, we will have refreshments and there will be some time to network and meet colleagues from the area. The presentation will be wrapped up by 8. I have included directions to the conference center below and we will have signs and plenty of parking out front.
AQUILENT CONFERENCE CENTER 1000 West Street Laurel, MD 20707

From I-95 (N toward BALTIMORE)
Merge onto MD-198 E via exit number 33A toward LAUREL
At the first traffic light, turn Left onto VAN DUSEN RD (use outside turn lane)
At the next light, make a Slight Right and merge onto OLD SANDY SPRING RD
Follow OLD SANDY SPRING RD for approximately 1/10 of a mile to WEST ST
Make a Slight Right onto WEST ST
The office park is on the Right, continue past the first entrance with the Aquilent sign
Turn right at the 3rd entrance to the office park at the green 95 Office Center sign
Make an immediate left turn into the conference center parking lot
The conference center is a one story building (red accents at entry)

More information about the speaker, Matt Monjan -

Matt currently leads the Mid-Atlantic team for Discovery's Education Network (DEN) team. At Discovery, Matt works with school systems and educators to promote effective strategies and solutions for engaging and stimulating this new generation of students - Digital Natives.

Included below is an outline of some of the topics Matt will be covering:

1) The world of Web 2.0 from his perspective (what it is, why it's in our lexicon, where it's heading)

2) Who is Web 2.0 (demographics)

3) How is Web 2.0 effectively being used within-

Corporate America (Coke, Toyota, etc)

Politics

Media - NPR, Discovery Communications

4) How has Discovery embraced Web 2.0

5) How does Discovery Education use/integrate web 2.0 tools

Examples from the classroom

Examples from within Discovery

6) Effective strategies for building Communities such as the Discovery Educator Network

7) Q&A

This should be a fun evening. We will offer up light refreshments (drinks and snack food). I look forward to seeing you all there.

A little bit more about Matt - Matt has held leadership positions on both the Digital Media Implementation and the Discovery Educator Network teams. He is based in Discovery Education's World Headquarters in Silver Spring, MD and manages the Discovery Educator Network activities for Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Delaware, New Jersey, and Washington, DC. Prior to joining the Discovery Education team in 2004, Matt designed, developed, and implemented adult education and certification programs for two of the largest trade associations in the country. Matt speaks across the country including presentations at local, state, and regional conferences, among them FETC, PETE&C, MASSCUE, Christa McAuliffe, VSTE and MICCA.