Location: Ok , let's get an early start on the day and do some outdoor climbing. We'll be climbing at Great Falls National Park in Virginia. There isn't an actual street address for the park and the address listed above is just approximate. Get directions from here, or use GPS coordinates. GPS coordinates for the park entrance:[masked], -77.255. GPS coordinates for the climber's sign-in board:[masked], -77.253910. Make a hairpin turn to the right about FIVE FEET past the entrance booth to get to the first parking lot. The climbers' sign-in board is at the far end of the parking lot. If you miss the turn (or that lot is full), park in the second lot and then walk back to the first parking lot.
I set the rsvp's to 12 for now . That may increase on how many come with top setup.
Note: There is a $5/vehicle entrance fee at the park (unless you have an annual park pass, which costs $20). Carpool to save some $$.
The Climbing: Great Falls has dozens if not hundreds of climbs. We'll figure out what to set up once everyone gets there.
- Climbing shoes (because of the weather, you may be more comfortable wearing socks w/ your climbing shoes)
- Helmet - Even a bike helmet is better than no helmet
- Food & Water (I'm not sure the park's concession stand will be open and it's a long walk from where the climbing is. So you should bring your own. Brownie points if you bring enough to share ;)
- Warm clothing
- Sunscreen & bug repellant
If you've got a climbing rope and anchor gear (static lines, locking biners, etc.) mention it in your RSVP. I'll increase the attendee limit once I know who else can go and what gear they can bring.
- You must know how to climb & top-rope belay (i.e. gym climbing) but you don't need to be a very good climber (though you do need to be a good belayer)
- Outdoor climbing experience not required. This is a great "first time outdoors" trip.
Dennis H, cell [masked]
Jared cell [masked]