DC Metro Mountaineers (DCMM) Message Board FUTURE TRIPS › Ecuador or Bolivia for Fall 2013

Ecuador or Bolivia for Fall 2013

Andrian H.
user 13710697
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
I am looking to set up a trip for the fall and wondering if anyone else would be interested in joining. Plans are in the very early stages. I have been talking with some guide services about helping to put the trip together. Though I am sure some are anti-guide service, yet think having someone with knowledge of the area (the guy I am talking to has 14 years working in both areas with the outfitters) would help for a basic trip.
General thoughts:
Currently don’t have a timeline and working. Personal thoughts are to get to country a week ahead of the climbs for acclimation, do the tourist thing, relax and enjoy. Climbs themselves would most likely be 10 days –14 days total. I am thinking October after the rains but before the holidays here. And open for thoughts!
Current ideas for trip:
Ecuador:
Looking for a more remote experience than the typical herding of climbers up hills so… Cayambe and Antisana.(more remote, less climbers) and of course the popular Cotapaxi, (even though it is very busy). This trip is a little better suited for newer, less experienced climbers. It involves driving into the refuge/hotels on the volcanoes; doing the ol’ alpine wake up (10pm-100am) and starting the climbs to be there at sunrise for summit, Coming down, resting then driving to the next peak. Perhaps we can have them work out an intro day to crevasse and basics of mountaineering a day or two before if someone is totally new to this. Cotapaxi and Cayambe would be good for newer climbers. Antisana is a bit more dangerous as the glacier is still VERY active. … yes, glacier not volcano.
Bolivia:
For the real remoteness and adventure… don’t know the climbs as of yet, we can work between 4-5 in the 18,000 range or two 18,000 peaks and a 20,000+ peak. This option will be more of an expedition type trip. Setting up a basecamp to work out of, help of mules/ llamas in etc.

So really looking for thoughts and interest, so far it is two of us, and we are open to 1-4 more. If you have done any of these peaks or areas, please let me know your thoughts.
A former member
Post #: 24
Andrian -Just thought I'd throw this out there. Nice plans I have to say and the right time of year for Ecuador or Bolivia. Cotopaxi, Cayambe, Illinisa- been there, done that. I'd be interested in Bolivia - Illampu/Ancohuma. I'm retired so time is not an issue. Money however is an issue so that is a major stopper If we can't get the price down. At any rate that's my 2 cents. Mike Dewey
Jacqueline H.
user 32875632
Washington, DC
Ohhh....this is on my list! I will say early winter 2014 would work a bit better for me than fall, as I may be able to take a few weeks or even months off to travel. Let me know about possible planning/brainstorming times as I would like to sit-in. Thanks for posting!
matt
user 4946691
Arlington, VA
I just returned from Ecuador 3 weeks ago after climbing Cotopaxi. I would consider another trip, but the fall may be too soon for me. My understanding for Ecuador is that for all glaciated peaks you have to hire a guide. This is new since last year. I think my guide charges $80 a day for 2 or more people + $20 for transportation. If you want his contact info let me know.
You could hike Pasachoa, El Corazon, Pichincha, etc. fairly easy without a guide to help acclimatize.
Also to note, the new airport just opened and because of poor infrastructure/traffic it was an hour and a half ride to Quito. The return trip at 4 am took 30 minutes. $26 taxi ride. Just something to keep in mind as this is new and on the way to Antisana. Keep me updated.
Matt
~changed my profile pic to me on Cotopaxi summit!