addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

DC Natural Language Processing Message Board › Quick Update

Quick Update

Charlie G.
greenbacker
Group Organizer
Arlington, VA
Hi everyone,

Please excuse this mass email for a couple of quick announcements...

First, I've been thrilled by the response to the DC NLP meetup group so far. We reached 100 members less than 48 hours after the public announcement went out. Please spread the word by telling your friends and colleagues!

Second, I'm still working on scheduling our first meetup event. Right now, my main challenge is securing an ideal location. I'm thinking it might be best to find a bar or restaurant within easy walking distance of a Metro station, with a semi-private area that can accommodate ~100 people (I've seen this work really well for the Geo DC meetup group). Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Next, the Open Analytics DC Summit in Arlington on Monday, March 25 will feature multiple talks related to NLP. Topics include sentiment analysis, analyzing social media, and geospatial analytics on unstructured text. Speakers include Sean Patrick Murphy from JHU, Joey Echeverria from Cloudera, and me (shameless plug!). The folks at IKANOW, organizers of the conference, sent me a discount code to share with the members of DC NLP. If you use code OADC20 when registering, you'll get a 20% discount off the regular fee. Hope to see you there!

Finally (another shameless plug), my employer -- Berico Technologies -- currently has an opening for a data scientist with a strong background in NLP (details here[/url]). Please feel free to reach out to me if you're interested.

Thanks!

Charlie Greenbacker
Organizer of DC NLP

Follow us on Twitter: @DCNLP­