addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The DC/NoVa Gamer's Guild Message Board › Anything But D&D!

Anything But D&D!

A former member
Post #: 201
I can't be the ONLY one who's bored to tears with the generic fantasy settings of D&D and Pathfinder...can I?

For a while I've been alternately playing in and running a couple of 6th Edition HERO System campaigns. But between summer activities and the loss of a couple of good players to real-life complications, attendance is down to the point where it feels like the group is teetering on the brink. So since we've already been discussing putting the group on hiatus during the winter holidays, I thought I'd start making inquiries here, to see if I can find either an existing group or some like-minded individuals who'd be interested trying something a little off the beaten path...

For my own part, I've been gaming for over 30 years; I'm happy to GM, but I'm hoping we might pick up at least one other person who'd be willing to either co-GM or run an alternate campaign so I can get in some player time as well. I tend to like my action bold and cinematic, will always pick building to concept over munchkin/min-maxing, and am a firm believer that story is essential and that the PC's are the stars of the show.

The game I'm currently running is sort of a superhero-y "Investigators Of The Paranormal And Bizarre" campaign (the "Hellboy" movies & comics are a heavy inspiration), but I'd be willing to run just about anything that interests folks if I can put together a tight group who are willing to commit to attending regularly and showing up ready to play -- by my way of thinking, being in a gaming group is no different than being in a bridge club or weekend softball team: other folks are counting on you to be there and do your part, so you need to make scheduling in that block of time every two weeks a priority.

I've played just about every major RPG at one time or another, but my preferred systems are HERO (5th or 6th Edition), Mutants & Masterminds, GURPS, and "Big Eyes, Small Mouth" for their versatility and the freedom of action they allow both players and GM; but again, I'm willing to consider other rule sets if it's the group's preference and a good case can be made for the system.

I live in Silver Spring, and would prefer to play on weekend afternoons & evenings. I've got a pretty good space for hosting as well, depending on where everyone's located.

Anyhow, that's my pitch -- I look forward to hearing from you, and seeing what kinds of stories we can come up with between us all...
A former member
Post #: 7
So, did you ever pick a game to run? I always like to try new systems, and I'm looking for a group. I would also like to find a group that could commit to a regular game schedule. I can only meet every other week, on weekends, but I'm interested.
A former member
Post #: 87
You should play Iron Kingdoms with us. This is probably the first game that I want to run more than play. It seems to have the game flow as 1st edition Exalted; simple rules with plenty of room to role-play as needed. Holler at me if you are interested.
Dark
drgames
Garrisonville, VA
Post #: 122
Third time is a charm on this message.

I've been thinking about doing a mini-campaign (2-3 sessions) set in one of these:

* Call of Cthulhu in the Wild West
* Gangbusters in the roaring 20s
* Merc set in the near modern era

Thoughts?

In service,

Rich
Dark
drgames
Garrisonville, VA
Post #: 141
OK, I put up a Call of Cthulhu event for 5 May. Check it, and let me know if you are interested.
Raf G.
wildRaf
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 10
Well, I started a Bronze age Rolemaster game on the weekends. Everyone meets in Clinton, Maryland, which is not too far away. We meet alternating weeks and the next game runs Sunday (21 April) at noon. Later on this year, we will need to move to Sundays.