DC Steampunks Message Board › Crafting Workshop Ideas

Crafting Workshop Ideas

Jenn
jadavisdc
Group Organizer
Arlington, VA
Post #: 27
Hey gang! So we've done Top Hat 1, and will be scheduling a Top Hat 2 once I know my travel schedule for Feb. But why stop there? I wanted to solicit the group and see what other ideas folks may have for workshops that we could hold. There definitely seems to be a lot of interest in the "making things" aspect of the community.

On that note, please post with any things you'd like to see scheduled, or if you have particular expertise and can host or teach a workshop. For instance, I know Ian would love some sort of electrical modding class, which neither of us know anything about. We can also do one for how to make spats (sewing), maybe a basic leatherworking 101 if there's interest (how to set rivets, dying techniques, stamping), or possibly even some type of metal-casting (I've only worked in pewter and it's been over a decade, but I don't remember it being too insanely difficult).

So what about all of you?

1. What would you like to see scheduled for a future making/modding session?

2. What talents or expertise can you share with the group in terms of teaching one of these?

Thanks!!
Karen G.
user 12587724
College Park, MD
Post #: 30
I'd like to make a leather or leather/cloth utility belt. I figure on using a belt blank and then making up my own bag idea, so it's a bit of design as well as making.

I know how to crochet, so if anyone is interested I can do a bit of teaching. I've made a nice crochet bag that works with my steampunk outfit. I could probably host about a dozen people at a time if no one is allergic to birds. Oh, and guys can crochet, too! We could do something like a wrist band as a quick project.
Clint
user 8946476
Columbia, MD
Post #: 3
lots of stuff Jen.......

1. leather vambraces with embedded bling bling
2. brass pendants and chains (hobby lobby stuff).
3. leather aviator cap (patterns available online)
4. harden leather armor (vests, bracelets etc)
5. klydex molding (a real cool thermal plastic available at Tandy for making weapons/armor/anything)
6. cravats
7. finger gauntlets (pointy stuff)
8. simple flashing light circuits or sound boards (to accessorize hats, goggles and other body parts)

Peg and I also attended a silversmithing workshop. A little expensive but as a group we might be able to get a group discount. I can also see about getting some simple flashing light circuits or sound boards
Ian
user 52106062
Arlington, VA
Post #: 2
There are a lot of things I'd like to either learn to improve upon existing skills:
1) Electronics/wiring (making parts of costumes light up)
2) Painting/finishing various surfaces - i.e. how to paint on plastic, fabric, et al.
3) How do clock works work?

In terms of what I can do, what I am capable of, I am happy to talk about:
1) Figuring out what to do with scraps (at the last event, someone mentioned they had a hard time looking at a lamp and seeing - hey that would be a cool part of my jet pack!)
2) Carpentry/Woodworking - I can teach basic skills certainly.
Jenn
jadavisdc
Group Organizer
Arlington, VA
Post #: 28
These are all excellent ideas, thank you!

In March we'll wrap up leather hats, then maybe we can do a belt/toolbelt/baldric class in April. That's pretty easy.

For those of you interested in leatherworking - which it sounds like there are a number - our member James is also managing a mid-Atlantic leatherworking guild where we learn leatherworking tips,skills, and techniques. It's for all levels of leatherworkers, the brand-spanking-new to the advanced. You can learn more here and join the group: https://www.facebook....­. We just did a riveting and stitching workshop in Feb and did kleenex boxes (mine is steampunk of course) - so do feel free to check them out!

Anyone got some electrical skills to offer? Metalworking? Thanks!
Evan
user 7177354
Washington, DC
Post #: 5
Classes I would eagerly attend:
Dance class....Waltz
How to build your own board games
Resin Casting
Silk Screening
How-to-build Radio Remote control Mini Airships firing Nerf Darts!