January 24, 2014 · 7:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
This is a last minute hike and will require Friday off. I've mapped out a shorter version of the Massanutten Loop, cutting out about 20 miles or so.
I'm totally flexible with time and mileage. If someone signs-up and wants to pound out miles, I'm cool with that too. Here's a more relaxed itinerary (mileage split[masked]):
• Park at the Elizabeth Furnace parking lot.
• Hike to Kennedy Peak.
• 19 miles
• Elevation gain/loss: +6475/-4924
• Hike to Waonaze Peak via the Massanutten Trail and Gap Creek Trail (reconnect with Massanutten).
• 18 miles
• Elevation gain/loss: +5044/-5052
• Hike back to car via the Massanutten Trail, Mudhole Gap, and Bear Wallow Spur.
• 15 miles
• Elevation gain/loss: +2849/-4426
Should be a cold weekend but otherwise good weather.
Map: Natgeo 792 (ping me if you need a print version)