Alright, so I've been waiting for a while for the weather to get warm enough to plan this trip. It's finally arrived!
This three day backpacking trip will start from us leaving on Friday, aiming to arrive at the Bear Rocks trail head at around 9pm. We'll hike in for just over a mile, crossing Red Creek to get to our camp area.
Saturday morning, we'll hit the trail in a decent hour and hike along the Bear Rocks, Raven Ridge, Rocky Ridge, Blackbird Knob, Big Stonecoal, Rocky Point trails and then connect with the spur trail leading us up to Lion's Head. This is where we will camp for Saturday night.
Note: Camping and Lion's Head is a dry camp so we will need to fill up about a mile or so before the junction of the spur trail.
Sunday, we will complete the loop via the Rocky Point, Red Creek, Blackbird Knob, Upper Red Creek, Dobbin Grade, and Bear Rocks Trails back to the cars.
Approximate Mileage for this trip is around 21 and total elevation gains are about 2000 ft.
Mileage Splits: 1.5/10/9
Please note the following:
- For those of you that have never been to Dolly Sods, the trail can get quite muddy and wet, especially in the north eastern sections.
- There will be minor creek crossings with Red Creek being the biggest (knee deep at max).
- As a rule of thumb, due to the entire area being up on a 4,000ft plateau, subtract about 12 degrees F for what the temperatures are being forecasted in the valley below.
- The weather is very unpredictable here. The weather could call for clear skies, but there is always a chance for sudden storms to roll in.
You can google search maps for this area pretty easily, but here is a good printable one:
- All attendees must have a map in order to participate.
- All applicants must submit a gear list in order to participate in this event. Your gear list must be received prior to the event (by Monday May 12th); if not, you will be removed from the trip.
- By RSVPing to this trip or any other DC UL trip, you agree to DC UL's waiver liability terms.