Turned out well. Weather.com "30% showers" forecast for Boonsboro trounced Accuweather's "80% rain" prediction. "30% chance of showers" generally means little or none, which is what we had: little or none. There was some drizzle driving out, then no rain but heavy fog on the trail Saturday morning (plus some ice melting off the branches for a brief time). Sunday was lovely. Temps probably in the 30-40 deg range both days (I didn't carry a thermometer). Dog did really well.
0 · February 25
She is a German Shorthaired Pointer, so she does not have much built-in protection to count on. I planned for her to be in the tent with me, but not in my mummy bag; I have a foam pad for her and a fleece blanket; also I have an insulated coat for her to sleep in. During the hike itself she would be wearing a Neoprene vest and maybe a fleece sweater (used those two in the snow on Signal Knob last weekend); in the rain I would add her raincoat but would not count on the other layers staying dry enough to sleep in. I did not know there were dog sleeping bags -- my fault for not looking for something like that.
[I have not figured out how to post a reply directly to an existing thread. I type into the "write a reply" space but then there is no "post" or "send" method that I have found, although I am sure it is something simple and probably obvious to everyone else (smile).]
0 · February 21
Milder yes, but 30 to 40 deg with rain is not looking good for a first overnighter with my dog. I would prefer snow to rain. I know I could keep warm overnight but I am not sure how to dry a soaking wet dog or to keep a wet dog warm in temperatures like that once we stop moving. My current plan is to meet at Grovenor and to drive one of the shuttle cars from Sandy Hook to the start on Rte 40. If there is a major change in the forecast, Lulu and I will do the hike as planned. But if the 80% chance of precip is still there, we will just do a day hike a few miles out and back to my car. Repeat: you can still count on my vehicle for the shuttle to the start on Saturday, no matter what weather.
0 · February 21