DC UL Backpacking Message Board Trip Planning and Updates › DC UL: Adventure Photography Workshop: Only 8 Days Out! Trip Notes

DC UL: Adventure Photography Workshop: Only 8 Days Out! Trip Notes

Michael Martin
mrmartin
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 450
Believe it or not ... This trip is almost upon us. Let me get some trip notes together.

The Weather ...The 10-day forecast suggests that we'll have pretty typical Mid-Atlantic winter conditions. Highs above freezing, lows in the 20s. There will almost certainly be some white stuff on the ground, and ice in the creeks, which will be nice for photography. Bring sturdy footwear (boots might be good if you're not a determined minimalist). Definitely have lots of warm socks and slippers for the cabin. A traction device (like micro-spikes) might also be a good idea. I will have some extra. Photography will involve standing around in the cold, so bring layers.

Getting there... The logistics are really pretty easy. Most all of us will be meeting up at the Vienna Metro ***North*** Lot, Friday, at 6pm, and car-pooling out to the cabin, along this route. It's about a two hour drive, so we should get to the cabin at about 8pm. If you're coming from a vector that means you need to arrive independently, just use the end-point on that map to plot your own route. There is a gate there that I have to unlock, so try to time your arrival for 8pm. The walk in to the cabin is about 0.2 miles.

The Cabin ....The Meadows Cabin will be very nice. It has electric light, but no other sockets (charge camera batteries at home!). The heating and cooking is via wood-burning stoves. There is a spring and a privy nearby (the experienced backpackers should bring their water treatment methods). I believe that the sleeping arrangements include pallets, but please bring your own foam pads or air mattress, too. Again, I will have extra.

The food ....I will be bringing food, which includes breakfast things for Saturday and Sunday, sandwich-making stuff for Saturday, and my world-famous boeuf bourguinon for Saturday night. @ Hollis, Mimi, and Carly ... If y'all would help me fill out this menu, I would be much obliged. I will recompense you for any grocery bills. Everyone should bring the spirit of his/her choice.

Gear ... Obviously, this trip is mainly about picture-taking ... So bring all the camera gear you like. Otherwise, you need stuff for winter day-hiking and sleeping in a cabin (these cabins, in my experience, are warm).

Agenda ... Josh, Carly, and I will work to firm up the hiking and photography agenda next week. The hiking will not be hard, as we don't want to distract from the photography. I do want to get to the top of Doubletop, though. ;) I will bring maps for the hikes. I will also do a backpacking 101 talk, for those interested.

Sleeping Out ... Several have asked about sleeping outside. Camping is not permitted on the cabin's property (and we follow the rules!). However, the cabin does adjoin national park land, where primitive camping is permitted. If you can find a good spot on national park soil, then it's okay.

On the way back into town, we'll probably stop off at my favorite Irish pub in Warrenton, but we should have everyone home in time for Superbowl parties, etc.

That should do it, I think. Questions, comments, concerns. Lemme know. 571-225-6763.

U-Turn (Michael)
Carly O'Neil
user 66832312
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 8
Happy to help with the menu! Should we plan a Friday night-post arrival menu?

Looking forward to meeting everyone and teaching! :)
Michael Martin
mrmartin
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 451
Yes, that would be great, Carly! Something simple we can heat up, perhaps? We'll need to get the wood-burning stove going.
Mignote
Washington, DC
Post #: 2
I am more than happy to help.
Besides Friday dinner do you need side and desert for the Boeuf Bourguignon? Or are you set, I dish that fancy deserves it.
Michael Martin
mrmartin
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 452
Oh, I need the help! I will bring some bread with a nice crust, but we could use a side and a dessert!
Mignote
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
Ahh crusty bread is good.
Just suggestion ...
How about walnut, cranberry and Gorgonzola salad with balsamic vinegaret and chocolate mousse or chocolate deeped strawberries with creme Anglese for desert.
As for Friday ... on Wood burning stove :)
- Grilled lamb chop or ribs (or any meat or no meat) and vegitables with Pistachio, olive and Parmesan pesto over concheglie
- or simply veggie pizza if it has oven
Sorry, Over excited about the wood burning stove :)
Dmitri T.
user 11123927
Potomac, MD
Post #: 12
I know 3 wonderful overlooks at the top of the Doubletop! 2 of them with the view of our cabin (red roof) and one absolutely amazing with the view of the Fork Mtn and the antennas. Can make it into a loop. Got to warn you, D-Top Mtn it's one of the steepest and longest climbs out there with the tr. barely blazed and maintained. The Rapidan River over there is very pretty as well. Also, there won't be time for "proper" photography with tripods and CIR-PL filters... The loop tr. around the mtn. is boring and not worth doing IMHO, only on top.

One option would be to do the White Oak Canyon Falls + Old Rag - out-n-back. Doing the Old Rag loop would be dangerous because of ice. I also know a very nice overlook just off tr. there.

When specifically do we want to leaving the Park on Sunday?

Couple suggestions - the cameras won't work in cold weather - yesterday mine was behaving funny when I went to take shots of the Great Falls. If it gets cold, bring wide jacket and keep it close to your body.

Suggestion 2: have liner gloves that fit you tight and mittens of thick gloves on top. Wear liner gloves while taking pictures - will save your hands from unnecessary pain.

Tripod and cable release for the camera are useful, so are the lens hoods. Be ready to attach the tripod to the backpack...

Have heat bags. If you don't have them, I can bring a ton.

Michael, what do you think?
Michael Martin
mrmartin
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 453
@ Mimi ... That sounds wonderful! But there is not an oven, I am pretty sure.

@ Dmitri ... I am glad you're with us and know the Doubletop Mountain trails. I've heard they are quite difficult.

My chief thought is that I do not want the hiking to usurp the place of the photography for this trip. Doing something like Old Rag is thus out of the question because it would take entirely too long. (The ice wouldn't stop me! ;) )

So, I'll look over the available hikes, and see what fairly attractive features we can get to with just a little walking. How long do you think we would need to walk to get to the views on Doubletop?

I also need to make sure that we have a waterfall for one of Josh's sessions. I was thinking Dark Hollow, or Rose River.

Let me know your thoughts ...

Yes, the cameras can behave oddly in cold temps, and the solution is body warmth. Mine was doing pretty well in the ADKs down to the teens last weekend. Hopefully, the conditions we'll experience will just be the ordinary cold.

I second the idea of a light liner glove with a mitten to go over it in really cold temps. That allows you to do dexterous stuff (photography-related or not) while still keeping your hands covered.

I think we'd leave around noon on Sunday, but I need to chat with Josh some.

MM
Michael Martin
mrmartin
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 454
I'll be at White Grass this weekend, and so I may be out of pocket.
Carly O'Neil
user 66832312
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 9
Ahh crusty bread is good.
Just suggestion ...
How about walnut, cranberry and Gorgonzola salad with balsamic vinegaret and chocolate mousse or chocolate deeped strawberries with creme Anglese for desert.
As for Friday ... on Wood burning stove :)
- Grilled lamb chop or ribs (or any meat or no meat) and vegitables with Pistachio, olive and Parmesan pesto over concheglie
- or simply veggie pizza if it has oven
Sorry, Over excited about the wood burning stove :)
That sounds amazing! >.< I vote yes!