Announcing a new Meetup for The Washington DC Write to Publish Group!What
: Crossing the Chasm - getting publishers to pick-up your self-published booksWhen
: Saturday, December 18,[masked]:00 PMWhere
: Arlington Central Library
1015 N. Quincy St. 2nd Floor Meeting Room
Arlington, VA 22201
Are you a self-published author and ever wondered whether you can get others to pay to produce your work? Are you considering whether you should go traditional or start out by self-publishing?
I recently attracted the attention of the #2 publisher in the world who offered Michael a multiple-book deal for a six-figure advance. In this session I'll give you step by step details on the strategies I used so you too can follow in his footsteps.
While breaking into the big NY firms may not be possible for everyone, that doesn't mean that you can't move up to an indie press. I personally recruit from self-published authors and I'll detail what I look for before reaching out to them. If you employ similar techniques you just might find an indie press knocking on your door. And even if you don't...I guarantee that you'll make a good bit of cash along the way.
Topics we'll cover in this session:
- Differences between self-publishing & traditional
- Should you stay self-pub or take the leap (pros and cons of each)
- How much you'll make or (loose) in the transition
- How to use Amazon to get your books noticed
- On-line outlets for spreading the word
- Using book bloggers to generate buzz
- How foreign rights scouts find you and what it means if they come knocking
- What to do if you do attract the attention of a publisher - do you need an agent?
- How I got Michael's books on the Bestseller's list of Amazon as well as movers and shakers list
- Sales tracking - how to tell what is working and what is not
Come prepared with questions as I'll try to leave a lot of Q&A time for this one.
Hope to see you there.
RSVP to this Meetup:http://www.meetup.com/DC-Write-To-Publish/calendar/15503175/