DC/MD/VA Adventures Message Board › Memorial Day Weekend OBX Getaway 2011

Memorial Day Weekend OBX Getaway 2011

Mark
Mark41
Newport News, VA
Post #: 10
For the past few years I have helped to organize an annual Memorial Day Weekend OBX Getaway for different groups of friends and acquaintances.  We try different houses in different locations with different people every year (some are able to come more than once).  We’ve had groups from 8 to 20+ people, the more people the bigger the house we rent.

I would propose we rent a house from at least Friday May 27th through Monday the 30th(Memorial Day, we’ll have to vacate the house by about 1100 on Tuesday the 31st). I can take that Friday off and head down early to check in and have the house open for folks as soon as they want to arrive.

Typical Agenda:
Friday night is usually a chill meet and greet as folks roll in with cocktails at the house and maybe some folks heading out to a local club later. Saturday night the group will usually head out to get some great seafood etc at a local restaurant then go out to another hot spot for dancing & drinks. Sunday dinner is usually a cookout type of thing at the house and Monday dinner will be another restaurant. During the day we usually try to do a few group activities such as going four wheeling on the beach, sailing, jet skiing, golf, hang gliding at Jockey’s Ridge or just tanning at the beach, pool or house but you are free to do whatever you want.  The idea is to get away from work etc for a little while and do as much or as little as you feel like doing.  Just have fun.

If there is sufficient interest I can socialize info on some of the houses we can look at based on the size of the group, if folks want their own room or will share with someone etc. I usually try to get something in the Villages at Nags Head. They are centrally located and have great houses. Once we get confirmed numbers and select a house, I’ll rent and we can divide the cost by the number of rooms. It usually ends up being cheaper than a hotel, very affordable.

Here are some pics from one of the smaller group weekends:

http://gallery.me.com...­

This would be a great way to start the Summer season (I miss having a sunburn and wearing shorts and flip flops!).

Please let me know what you think, if you have any questions or would like to go or help plan.

Cheers,

Mark