addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DIYbio Toronto Message Board › Notes from Lab Jam #1

Notes from Lab Jam #1

Ewan
user 12048956
Toronto, ON
Post #: 34
Here are the notes took last night. Please add anything I missed!

Everybody using the lab will have to have a file for WHMIS
-MSDS for everything we use, sign off on each chem
-Everyone must sign a waiver
-Nobody works alone rule

Physical:
Phase 1:
-Sealed bench/easy sterilise
-Flame cabinet or small lockable cabinet
-First aid kit
-Fridge
-Freezer
-Big orange bag for bio disposal [Contact waste disp corp, UoT, Brendan]
-Everyone maintains a lab book onsite
-Binder for MSDS
Phase 2:
-Fire extinguisher
-Security cameras on fridges and cabinets
-Plumbing/sink
-Ventilation with fume hood
-Solvent disposal

Phase 1 non-physical:
-Safety training

Procedure:
-Inventory
-Emergency protocols
-Regular lab inspections
-Accident and incident reporting
-Online signup sheet
-Disclaimer re: ownership and conflict

Training
-CPR course ($60 each)
-WHMIS
-Biosafety training [Brendan, iGem link, Talk to Christina@Biozone talk about affiliation, research hospitals]

Funding
-Grants available for training high school students (Brendan)

Equipment scoring sources:
-UoT Dept of neuroscience
Patrick C.
patcon
Toronto, ON
Post #: 12
Nice! Thanks. If any of this is longterm info, would it make sense to put it into the wiki?
https://diybioto.hack...­

(I'd do it myself, but just trying to gutcheck whether people even think that wiki is good-practice. If it's just one person maintaining it, it's as good as dead :)
Ewan
user 12048956
Toronto, ON
Post #: 35
I like the idea of a wiki, but I'm not familiar with hackpad. Does it support cross linking and hierarchical structuring? It seems to be a stream based flat structure.

We've been using google docs up until now. I must apologise, as I have perhaps been a little disorganised in sharing what we have centrally. I've created a shared folder accessible to all for now, which you'll find here:
https://drive.google....­

Going forward, I'm still unsure what we want to do here. I think a full wiki would be nice, but we need to make sure we've got something which will fully support all of our needs. I'm open to all options on this one, but you're certainly right in that we need to agree!
Patrick C.
patcon
Toronto, ON
Post #: 13
Solving our needs is totally top priority, so if hackpad doesn't do that, then let's bail on using it.

But I would disagree that archiving the data for people in the know (meetup members) should be the prime directive. Hackpad is arguably great because it IS stream-like and emphasizes change and activity. Plus they're great for discoverability and tracking. I'm not sure gDrive files are going to be found by people outside the group, nor will they be particularly great at communicating what we're working on.

But anyhow, just providing food for thought. No decisions need to be made right now. I'll let the wiki go if no one else is interested in maintaining it, and that's fine with me :)