Join with American Women Veterans in a service project that honors the lives of heroes of all generations. We will meet at the top of the metro at 8am. Please dress weather appropriately. For those of you who are interested we can have brunch afterwards.
Wreath clean up (rain, snow or shine) at Arlington National Cemetery (ANC) will be on Saturday, January 28, 2012. Cemetery gates will open at 8:00 am. Brief opening remarks will be held at 8:30 am at the McClellan Gate Arch near Section 12 on the right of Eisenhower Drive. ANC officials will not allow volunteers to park within the Cemetery with the exception of #1 noted below. We strongly encourage volunteers to use Metro. Please remember that we will be picking up ONLY the WAA wreaths with the red bows. All other wreaths, decorations, stands, etc. are to remain in place.
Listed below are important details for the wreath clean up:
1. Parking within the cemetery will be restricted to individuals with ANC family passes. Vehicles with valid handicapped permits will be allowed to park in the Administrative lot on King Drive to the left off of Eisenhower Drive and next to Section 54.
2. The ANC Visitor Paid Parking Garage will open at 7:00 am and will be free until 1:00 pm for volunteers. Buses should also use this facility.
3. Additional parking will be available at the same locations used for wreath laying. These locations are the Fort Myer parking lots next to the cemetery (except those areas blocked off with orange cones; the Navy Annex lots (off S. Joyce St.) near the Air Force Memorial and the old gas station (do not park in slots marked “Reserved 24/7”); at the Pentagon North lot, and at the Hayes, Fern, and Eads Streets parking lots off of Army/Navy Drive.
4. Pedestrians volunteers can access ANC gates located at:
- the Ord-Weitzel Gate (north) near the Iwo Jima Memorial;
- the Main Gate (east) on Memorial Drive with entry at the Visitors Center and the Women’s Memorial;
- the Service and Maintenance Gate and the Henderson Hall Gate (south) off Columbia Pike between the Air Force and Pentagon Memorials, across from the now-closed Navy Exchange gas station; and, the Fort Myer Gate (west) near the Old Post Office Chapel.
5. Arlington Cemetery is hallowed ground. Please be respectful at all times.
6. No food or drink (except water) is allowed within the Cemetery grounds.
7. Restrooms are available at the Information Center, Women’s Memorial, and at the Memorial Amphitheater.
Listed below are “helpful” hints:
1. Dress for the weather. Wear comfortable “all-weather” shoes and gloves.
2. Volunteers may bring leaf rakes or poles to load up on multiple wreaths for easier transfer. Previously, some volunteers used a rope tied to a 14 inch board or rod for ease in loading and carrying wreaths.