Apr 9, 2014 · 7:00 PM
Greenhill School Library
The book for April 2014 is:
Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity
by John Loftus
Due to an oversight on my part, April's book selection exceeds the maximum length that we normally observe. This is exacerbated by having a short lead time for reading this month. The book is divided into two logical halves. Outside of that, most chapters can stand on their own. Therefore, I propose that for those who don't have time to finish the whole book before April 9, I suggest the following abridged set of chapters for reading.
A Personal Opening Chapter
1. My Christian Conversion and Deconversion
Part 1: Christianity from the Outside
2. Faith, Reason, and My Approach to Christianity
3. The Outsider Test for Faith
4. Does God Exist?
5. Does Morality Come From God?
10. The problem of Unanswered Prayer
11. The Problem of Suffering: My Specific Case
12. The Problem of Suffering: Objections Answered
Part 2: Christianity from the Inside
13. The Strange and Superstitious World of the Bible
14. Who Wrote the Bible?
15. Science and the Genesis Creation Accounts
17. Prophecy and Biblical Authority
22. The Devil Made Me Do It!
23. Hell? No!
A Personal Concluding Chapter
24. Why I Became on Atheist