addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Dallas Atheist Book Club Message Board › Voting Format

Voting Format

Scott B.
user 10302406
Dallas, TX
Post #: 34
I really like the new voting format! I think it is a more logical choice.

Thanks for changing it!

Scott
Keith K.
user 12906323
Dallas, TX
Post #: 8
Prefer the old format If you had two that you really liked you could give them both a 10 instead of having to choose one. If you had two that were close you could give one a 10 and the other a 9.
A former member
Post #: 156
The change of the voting format could have been announced with the call for book suggestions.
It is a less informative voting format!

I did not see a discussion thread about a need to change the voting format. It opens the possibility that it was done for this topic. The new voting format should be invalid for this round of voting.
A former member
Post #: 157
Prefer the old format If you had two that you really liked you could give them both a 10 instead of having to choose one. If you had two that were close you could give one a 10 and the other a 9.

+1

Pulling this trick makes the whole call for book suggestions and voting bogus.
Keith K.
user 12906323
Dallas, TX
Post #: 9
The call for book selections is not bogus. The real problem is not whether using either single vote or proportional voting is better (the former is simpler but conveys less information) but that very few people vote! Maybe we should borrow from Australia and have mandatory voting!
Jason H.
that_guy
Dallas, TX
Post #: 249
So much discussion!

I forgot to change it over to the numbered system when I made the poll by accident. It defaults to the single-choice.

With the number of votes already in it, I was thinking it might not be such a huge deal if we just let it play out this month and see what people think or if they think the numbered system is better. It won't really matter much to me.

If it needs to me changed, I'll get to it tonight and redo it.
Skip K.
Skipkilmer
Carrollton, TX
Post #: 28
I think the statisticians have proven that no voting system can be both accurate and fair. Personally I like the proportional system for this poll since it often results in a choice most can live with rather than a slight favorite that some will hate. In the case of these selections, I count a total of nine votes so far for ten books. What do we do with a tie?
Gregg
gregglll
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 100
I personally agree with Keith that the old voting system was superior. If you look at our current voting, no book yet has a clear majority. And it is doubtful that any particular one will. So rather than having numerous runoffs to insure the chosen book is indeed the one most people want to read, I think the old system is the best.

That being said, I think Jason is doing a tremendous job keeping this group together. And I'm sure if I were the one responsible for setting up the polls, there would be much more to complain about than the Meetup default settings.
Chris Irwin D.
chrisirwindavis
Group Organizer
Richardson, TX
Post #: 18
I think Jason is doing a tremendous job keeping this group together.

Ditto.

Keith K.
user 12906323
Dallas, TX
Post #: 10

That being said, I think Jason is doing a tremendous job keeping this group together.

I agree. Let's keep Jason!