Dallas Atheist Book Club Message Board › New Monthly Themes - Suggestions

New Monthly Themes - Suggestions

Jason Hollis
that_guy
Euless, TX
Post #: 254
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I'm looking for suggestions from everyone about new book themes for the coming year. Here are the current themes that have been used for the last 2 years:

Jan - Black history, religions impact on slavery, black countries, etc or book by black author or biography of black atheist (Black history month in Feb)

Feb - Women history, religions impact on women, biography of women of or out of religion. (Women's history month in March)

March - Science, earth sciences (Earth day in April)

April - Atheist Apologetics

May - Philosophy

June - U.S. History or U.S. Current events (4th of July)

July - Biography and or Legal

August - MiddleEast History and or Legal (ties with 9/11)

September - Religions impact on Homosexuals (in remembrance of Matthew Shepard's crucifixion in October)

October - Religious Apologetics (for upcoming winter Holidays)

November - Spirituality and or Ethics (alternatives for Atheists during winter holidays)

December - Humor (Short fun read for busy holidays)

______________________________________­_________________

Feel free to specify a whole list, assign your ideas to months, or just toss out random suggestions that you think sounds cool / intriguing / helpful / informative. I'll do my best to take in all suggestions and try to synthesize a reasonably diverse list for next year.

Remember, the book club is what you make of it!
Chris Irwin Davis
chrisirwindavis
Group Organizer
Richardson, TX
Post #: 20
A few new topic ideas in no particular order:

• The Science of Human Behavior – Cognitive Science, Neuroscience, Cognitive Neuroscience, Evolutionary Psychology, Freewill, Monism/Dualism, etc. Example authors: Daniel Dennett, Steven Pinker, Malcolm Gladwell, Michael Gazzinga, Charles Duhigg, Sam Harris
  • Biological evolution, phylogeny, zoology, and paleontology – Examining our relationship with all other life on Earth. Example authors: Stephen Jay Gould, E. O. Wilson, Richard Attenborough, Louis Leakey, Jerry Coyne, Richard Dawkins (his Evo-Bio works).
  • Critical thinking, scientific skepticism, formal logic, and logical fallacies– Example Authors: Massimo Pigliucci, Michael Shermer, James Randi
  • Future of Humanity, transhumanism, and human augmentation – Andy Clark, Ray Kurzweil, Aubrey de Grey

Christopher Lynn B...
user 45674152
Plano, TX
Post #: 3
non-Christian religions (I'm thinking more Islam here but I guess others can be included)

A "Great Books of the Western World" month (or couple of months) would be awesome as well.

Steefen
Steefen
Plano, TX
Post #: 163
Debates on peripheral topics of atheism:

We do not have a soul/spirit vs. the human aura (book: Infinite Mind by Valerie v. Hunt)
We do not have a soul/spirit vs. studies in the paranormal
We do not have a soul/spirit vs. Homeric, Platonic, and Virgilian thought (Homer has characters visiting the dead, a pious Socrates speaks of the meaning of life and standing before a non-Judeo-Christian-Islamic god, and Virgil has his hero visit the dead)

While atheism works against the Judeo-Christian-Islamic-LDS notions of god and human life, does it work against Western Astrology and Vedic Astrology's notion of planetary deities?

Steefen
Steefen
Plano, TX
Post #: 165
I'm looking for suggestions from everyone about new book themes for the coming year. Here are the current themes that have been used for the last 2 years:

June - U.S. History or U.S. Current events (4th of July)

July - Biography and or Legal

August - MiddleEast History and or Legal (ties with 9/11)

September - Religions impact on Homosexuals (in remembrance of Matthew Shepard's crucifixion in October)

______________________________________­_________________

Feel free to specify a whole list, assign your ideas to months, or just toss out random suggestions that you think sounds cool / intriguing / helpful / informative. I'll do my best to take in all suggestions and try to synthesize a reasonably diverse list for next year.

Remember, the book club is what you make of it!

Join June and July to make room for one new topic.

Remove "(ties with 9/11)" in the August topic. Change August to "Middle East History and Current Events."

Change September to "GLBT (Gays Lesbians, Bisexuals, and Transgenders), Heterosexuals, Religion, and Atheism" or "Healthy and Moral Sexuality within Religion and Atheism."
Tim
user 17561571
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
A few new topic ideas in no particular order:

• The Science of Human Behavior – Cognitive Science, Neuroscience, Cognitive Neuroscience, Evolutionary Psychology, Freewill, Monism/Dualism, etc. Example authors: Daniel Dennett, Steven Pinker, Malcolm Gladwell, Michael Gazzinga, Charles Duhigg, Sam Harris
  • Biological evolution, phylogeny, zoology, and paleontology – Examining our relationship with all other life on Earth. Example authors: Stephen Jay Gould, E. O. Wilson, Richard Attenborough, Louis Leakey, Jerry Coyne, Richard Dawkins (his Evo-Bio works).
  • Critical thinking, scientific skepticism, formal logic, and logical fallacies– Example Authors: Massimo Pigliucci, Michael Shermer, James Randi
  • Future of Humanity, transhumanism, and human augmentation – Andy Clark, Ray Kurzweil, Aubrey de Grey

I like these.

Also, I'd like to add:

• Government / Economics