Dallas Atheist Book Club Message Board › Due to overwhelming feedback, "Evolution’s Rainbow" is back to a single mont

Due to overwhelming feedback, "Evolution’s Rainbow" is back to a single month review!

Gene V.
GeneVanek
Allen, TX
"Evolution's Rainbow" will ONLY be reviewed during the Wednesday October 13th meeting.

I had sent out the email that we would be extending "Evolution's Rainbow" into a two month review (October and November) based on the size of the book. Almost immediately I got lots of email and message board postings stating that this was a mistake.

Since it seems like almost nobody (including me) really likes this book (I am not sure why then so many people voted for it), and people do not want to spend two months reviewing it, we will fall back to the original plan to just review "Evolution's Rainbow" at the Wednesday October 13th meeting and then read a different book for the Wednesday November 10th meeting.

For those of you who do not want to read the entire book, I have received much feedback that the main chapter of interest with "Evolution's Rainbow" is "Same Sex Sexuality".

Regardless, even if you do not read "Evolution's Rainbow", please plan to attend the Wednesday October 13th meeting. We will be covering many group related items that we need to have some discussions on. Your attendance will help ensure that you have a voice and that we have some agreement on how things will be run moving forward.

Since we did not vote for a book for the Wednesday November 10th book review meeting at the last book club meeting, I would like to propose that we choose a limited number of books to vote on. I have received some nominations and filtered through the books. I would like to limit the books up for vote to popular, somewhat easy reading books. There is no genre for the November 10th book review.

Here are some of the popular proposals:

• "The Moral Landscape" Sam Harris
  • "The Grand Design" Stephen W. Hawking
  • "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" Christopher Hitchens

Please limit the proposals to popular books that are less than 350 pages that look like an easy read based on the reviews. Please email me the boos proposals by noon Friday 9/24 and I will add those books that meet the criteria to the list of books to vote for.

I will setup a online poll on the book club's meetup website with all the nominated books. We will vote between Friday noon 9/24 and Friday noon 10/1. On Friday 10/1 the winner of the poll will be the book to read for the Wednesday November 10th meeting. That should give us plenty of time to purchase and read the book before the meeting.

I also recommend that you visit the meetup group site and look at the changes to the about section. I have added all previous books we have read and linked to the GoodReads website. I have spent some time cleaning up the GoodReads lists and am in the process of placing books into genres.

Please also take the time to RSVP for the Wednesday October 13th book club meeting now.
Wednesday October 13th Meeting

On an unrelated note, the Texas Freethought Convention will be held in Dallas this year and runs from Friday October 8th though Sunday October 10th. Many book club members stated they had planned to be there.
Texas Freethought Convention
A former member
Post #: 38
I object. My book is not yet popular.

What is the definition of popular? How many of the books we've already read are popular?

Besides, if you guys don't want great books like mine up for consideration, maybe it can be a door prize or something. Either way, my book is a pivotal work in the topics we cover.
Gene V.
GeneVanek
Allen, TX
Post #: 4
Let's discuss voting and what books are considered at the next Meetup on Wednesday October 13th. I am not stating that we only do "popular" books in general, I just thought after all the debate on "Evolution's Rainbow", we do something popular for November.
A former member
Post #: 9
I would like to nominate "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis. Based on the reviews, it has something to do with religion, it isn't very long and it is very popular (with pictures!). In fact, those who don't want to read the book can watch the movie. I really like the Snow Queen, but I don't want to give away any spoilers.
A former member
Post #: 5
biggrin HILARIOUS!
A former member
Post #: 26
Yeah, we totally need to re-evaluate what is "popular". It's not like that word has an agreed upon meaning in our society.

So far we have only read books by recognized authors, who have the backing of major publishers, are reviewed by national publications, and often sell enough copies of their books to require multiple re-printings. Since when does availability and sales mean a book is "popular"?

I mean that new list; Harris, Hitchens, Hawking. Who the hell are these guys? I don't see how you could call their books "popular".
A former member
Post #: 10
You know, being a book club is really getting in the way of things. I propose that we change our name to the "Tiny-Brained Wipers of Other Peoples' Bottoms Who are Atheists or Freethinkers or Wickens or Whatever."

We could vote on which chapter(s) we want to read from any book without lasting value and then act it out in charades while wearing funny hats all the time saying, "well, back to the book."

It reminds me of a quote:

"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent popularity." Thomas Alva Edison 1847-1931

A former member
Post #: 6
wink
A former member
Post #: 28

We could vote on which chapter(s) we want to read from any book without lasting value and then act it out in charades while wearing funny hats all the time saying, "well, back to the book."

That actually reminds me of a quote:

"Getting back to the book..." Gene Vanek

A former member
Post #: 1
Book? ... what book? Yeah...I'm new... Are we supposed to be reading something?